Sign in to follow this  
MJW

Disappointed and considering Defection

JI was pleased as punch with v.7 .02 running on my Windows XP system ... but it has gone downhill since then. I exported GEDCOMs and the tags were wrong. I went through and changed the tag properties to accurately export ...v 3 hours of back and forth from help file and tag properties. Then I thought I'd use one of the filter examples from the GYM cd I bought. Worked once, but when I changed the dates using the same formula as in the example .... irratic results. The program running on Windows 7 is intolerably slow and behaves irradically. I'm tired of ignoring script and other errors.

I have tried to be loyal, but the lack of support (from support for over a year, "This is a known issue and we are working on it.") and the stalling from the company about upgrading the DB engine has forced me to defect. I have invested thousands of hours in building my database with TMG, and due to the irratic export, I'll be spending hundreds of hours reconstructing. I can't even export to a CSV without a dozen script errors.

Thanks alot for a great program gone downhill.

I am very sorry that you feel this way. Based on the login you used for this post I only see one other post from you on the Forum. I wish you had posted some of your concerns here earlier. Many users like myself would have been happy to try to help you resolve your issues. Good luck in using another program. You might want to check back when Version 8 comes out?

JI was pleased as punch with v.7 .02 running on my Windows XP system ... but it has gone downhill since then. I exported GEDCOMs and the tags were wrong. I went through and changed the tag properties to accurately export ...v 3 hours of back and forth from help file and tag properties. Then I thought I'd use one of the filter examples from the GYM cd I bought. Worked once, but when I changed the dates using the same formula as in the example .... irratic results. The program running on Windows 7 is intolerably slow and behaves irradically. I'm tired of ignoring script and other errors.

I have tried to be loyal, but the lack of support (from support for over a year, "This is a known issue and we are working on it.") and the stalling from the company about upgrading the DB engine has forced me to defect. I have invested thousands of hours in building my database with TMG, and due to the irratic export, I'll be spending hundreds of hours reconstructing. I can't even export to a CSV without a dozen script errors.

Thanks alot for a great program gone downhill.

Hi MJW, welcome to the forum,

You mention you are running The Master Genealogist v7.02, are you aware and have you installed the update to v7.04?

Why are you manually trying to modify an exported GEDCOM, in what way is the export wrong, does another program say this?

What is this GYM cd you talk about , do you have a web link we can look at?

What version of Windows 7 are you running 32bit or 64bit?

Did you email Whollygenes Support? What is the "This is a known issue and we are working on it." that you talk about?

You mention "I'll be spending hundreds of hours reconstructing. " did your database become corupted?

Please provide more information.

I'm running W7 64-bit on my laptop and W7 32-bit on my desktop and the problems I describe occur on both machines, but not on my old system running XP SP3. I never ran it on my desktop in Vista. I have been using TMG since v5, so I'm not entirely a newbie. I have the latest version of TMG.

Even though I've only posted once, I consult the forum regularly for clues to solve problems.I don't believe in cluttering help forums with redundant queries.I searched the forum, found that tons of folks were having the same problems with errors generating reports and slow performance.

My database is not corrupted; I run the Validate and Optimize procedures at the end of every session, and during a session if I've added alot of information.I followed the advice on the performance adviser, and TMG went from incredibly slow to slow. I did not manually edit the Gedcom I exported. I edited the Gedcom property in the Tag Type Tool so that it exported to the proper tag. Once i corrected the Gedcom tags, the info exported properly. Like I said, I'm not a complete moron.

I committed a typo ... I meant the GTM CD, not the GYM CD ... it's the "Getting the Most Out of the Master Genealogist" publication sold by Wholly Genes. I bought it when I started having problems with running TMG in W7. When I couldn't find a solution in that book, I emailed support with a specific problem and got, "This is a known problem with TMG v7 and 64 bit computer." And apparently with W7 32-bit also. Due to various errors, I've lost most of the report functionality in the program.

I copied the example for creating a filter for census candidates that is on pp. 175-176 of GTM. I got people born after and dying before the census year in the results. I triple checked the conditions including parentheses, set tags to N (a report I CAN run without errors as long as there are no output columns), and ran the reports, resetting tags, checking the syntax, and running again and again. Same results.

I know a little about relational databases, having programmed Access and Open Office dbs to store and retrieve census and other records I have extracted from primary sources. Seems to me that TMG makes things harder than they need to be with convoluted statements and procedures and a filter-creating interface that is only efficient for queries with one or two conditions.

Not my intention to offend, but I'm not optimistic that the new version of TMG will be suited to my needs.

There are no innate problems running reports under Win7 x86 (32-bit). The report engine doesn't support reports to Word, RTF and WordPerfect under 64-bit operating systems. TMG8 will have a new report engine that will work with 64-bit operating systems.

To get help, in each case, you need to specify exactly what you are trying to do and what you did. Then people can make specific suggestions to help you along and work with you until your issues are resolved.

I'm not optimistic that the new version of TMG will be suited to my needs.
If you have a Win7 (64 bit) operating system, then one of the main things advertised about Version 8 is for the new TMG report writer to now work with that operating system. If you have Win7 (32 bit), then there should be no significant problems with TMG Version 7.04 on that operating system.

I don't believe in cluttering help forums with redundant queries.
Please don't hesitate to post a problem on this forum, especially if it is preventing you from using TMG. Many users, like Jim and myself, are only too happy to try to help. If the answer to some other post does not fix your problem, don't assume that your problem is exactly the same. There may be something different going on for you, and one of us users has seen it before and can help. As Jim says, "specify exactly what you are trying to do and what you did". It can't hurt to try. That is what this forum is for.

But if you do post your problem, it would be appropriate to start a new post thread with an appropriate title so that other users will see it and understand its topic.

I'm not optimistic that the new version of TMG will be suited to my needs.
If you have a Win7 (64 bit) operating system, then one of the main things advertised about Version 8 is for the new TMG report writer to now work with that operating system. If you have Win7 (32 bit), then there should be no significant problems with TMG Version 7.04 on that operating system.

I don't believe in cluttering help forums with redundant queries.
Please don't hesitate to post a problem on this forum, especially if it is preventing you from using TMG. Many users, like Jim and myself, are only too happy to try to help. If the answer to some other post does not fix your problem, don't assume that your problem is exactly the same. There may be something different going on for you, and one of us users has seen it before and can help. As Jim says, "specify exactly what you are trying to do and what you did". It can't hurt to try. That is what this forum is for.

But if you do post your problem, it would be appropriate to start a new post thread with an appropriate title so that other users will see it and understand its topic.

Never mind. I've migrated to another program.