Roger S

Reports with Selected people only.

I am trying to produce a Report for a select group of individuals. I have set a unique flag to indicate which people I want then used Project Explorer filters to find and show the people with my flag set (which works). Back on the Report Definition screen I then check the box marked "Selected people on Project Explorer"

I was expecting my reports to show only (and all) the people "selected on Project Explorer" but I regularly see more or even less depending on the report type selected.

Am I doing something wrong? or is this not the right way to go about things? thanks Roger

Roger,

You don't say what types of reports you are trying to use, but I assume it's some type of ancestor or descendant chart or report. For all of them, you select only the starting person in the report definition, then specify the number of generations and other options, and the report then figures out who to include.

When you select a group of people, as you have done, you are really specifying a number of reports, each starting with one of the people you have selected.

You need to select the desired starting person, and then use other means to limit who is included. The basic way is to set the number of generations to the desired number. If that doesn't do what you want, you need to take additional steps. On way is to make a parent/child relationship tag non-primary, which will break that line and that point and cut off that person and any ancestors/descendants.

To deal with more complex situations, you can use the flag you have in a filter in the List of People report, and set the Secondary output to copy those people to a temporary Project or Data Set. Then run your report from it - since it includes only those you want in the report, everyone else will be omitted.

If you are trying to use some other type of report, please tell us what you are using and more specifically what is failing.

Hello Terry, I saw you were watching and hoped you would jump in quick . . . before I went too far down the wrong road.

You don't say what types of reports you are trying to use, but I assume it's some type of ancestor or descendant chart or report. For all of them, you select only the starting person in the report definition, then specify the number of generations and other options, and the report then figures out who to include.

I was trying a variety of reports but none were not reacting as I hoped

When you select a group of people, as you have done, you are really specifying a number of reports, each starting with one of the people you have selected.

You need to select the desired starting person, and then use other means to limit who is included. The basic way is to set the number of generations to the desired number. If that doesn't do what you want, you need to take additional steps. On way is to make a parent/child relationship tag non-primary, which will break that line and that point and cut off that person and any ancestors/descendants.

OK got that but it's the following situation I'm in

To deal with more complex situations, you can use the flag you have in a filter in the List of People report, and set the Secondary output to copy those people to a temporary Project or Data Set. Then run your report from it - since it includes only those you want in the report, everyone else will be omitted.

Humm does indeed sound more complex . . . . I will re think what I am trying achieve Terry.

If you are trying to use some other type of report, please tell us what you are using and more specifically what is failing.

I think I'll choose the report which best covers my requirements and then simply edit out those people I don't want to show.

OK Terry I've got my answer thanks. . .Roger

I think I'll choose the report which best covers my requirements and then simply edit out those people I don't want to show.

OK Terry I've got my answer thanks.

You're welcome, Roger.

If you don't have a lot of people to exclude that may be the simplest solution.