Roy Sprunger

'Add Person' Window Behavior

Is there any way to fix the Surety column positions, in maximized or windowed mode, to prevent the shifting from right to left to right again or is there a way to turn off the Surety columns from displaying?

In using TMG 7.04 (Advance) on Windows XP SP3 when adding new people, this is a disturbing behavior.

When entering the Surety values for 12DPM, after putting a value in the P column, the screen advances to the right, unnecessarily I might add. I have tried various methods to reposition the window, both as a window on the screen and maximized & adjusting the column width, but nothing sticks. Each time I access the Add Person window again, and enter the data again, the screen jumps to the right, again.

There is no reason for it and there is no slider bar to reposition the columns within the window. When the window is maximized, there should not be any shifting within the window. When this happens the left-most columns disappear off screen and a gap opens up on the right of the Surety columns. The only way to return the display window back to normal seems to be using the Tab key or the Enter key.

I also tried changing the column width of the Value column to pull the Surety columns closer to the middle of the screen, thinking that would help and it does, until I close the window.

Roy

When you make changes to the Tag Box, you need to save those changes using a custom layout.

See the various topics concerning layouts in the help index.

There are examples of custom layouts in these topics.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...amp;#entry33863

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...4&hl=layout

Roy -

The jumping about occurs when the surety columns are just slightly to the right off screen, sometimes just a hair off and not noticeable. In the video (link below) watch the line on the right of the M surety box; the sequence is:

no space (problem)

small space (no problem)

no space (problem)

http://screencast.com/t/Qh0U5nLTv

After you adjust that window or move the columns a bit to the left, try saving the layout as Jim suggested and see if that is a permanent fix.

Virginia

Roy,

Try grabbng the corner of the window and stretching the window until all the surety columns show. Then reduce the size of the window as you wish. This should change it permanently.

I suspect that you have chosen to set your Preferences to a font size that is larger than default. Am I correct? That is what causes this on my screen, but doing the above resizing seems to fix it for that installation.

When you make changes to the Tag Box, you need to save those changes using a custom layout.

See the various topics concerning layouts in the help index.

There are examples of custom layouts in these topics.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...amp;#entry33863

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...4&hl=layout

Jim, I don't understand what you mean by "Tag Box". I do not recall ever seeing the Add Person window referred to a such.

However, I am familiar with custom layouts. After making changes, I saved my custom layout changes, twice. After each time, the changes were lost.

Roy

Roy -

The jumping about occurs when the surety columns are just slightly to the right off screen, sometimes just a hair off and not noticeable. In the video (link below) watch the line on the right of the M surety box; the sequence is:

no space (problem)

small space (no problem)

no space (problem)

http://screencast.com/t/Qh0U5nLTv

After you adjust that window or move the columns a bit to the left, try saving the layout as Jim suggested and see if that is a permanent fix.

Virginia

I did and the changes were not saved.

Roy

Roy,

Try grabbng the corner of the window and stretching the window until all the surety columns show. Then reduce the size of the window as you wish. This should change it permanently.

I suspect that you have chosen to set your Preferences to a font size that is larger than default. Am I correct? That is what causes this on my screen, but doing the above resizing seems to fix it for that installation.

Michael,

I do not understand. 'Cause when I resize the window and let go of the mouse button, all the surety columns snap to the right most position. The columns hug the right side of the window no matter what I do. If I manually click & drag the surety columns to the left, then resize the window, they snap back into position hugging the rightmost side of the window again.

No, I did not change the font size. This is a new project and the only defaults I changed were the paths to the files.

Apparently the position of the surety columns within the window is hardcoded to reset to the defaults each time the window is opened. I even tried widening the surety memo column, then shrinking it to leave some white space, saved the layout again, but to no avail.

Roy,

I was completely unresponsive to your question. My head said Tag Box and you said Add Person.

I'd reset the Add person template. And maybe try stretching the window slightly to the right in case it has become too narrow.

Jim

Roy -

If you are using the default v7 resizing method, try switching to the v 5/6 method (Preferences / Project Options / Other). Drag the window wider (do not move the columns) so there is at least a column-width of space on the right side of the columns. See if that holds.

Virginia

Roy -

If you are using the default v7 resizing method, try switching to the v 5/6 method (Preferences / Project Options / Other). Drag the window wider (do not move the columns) so there is at least a column-width of space on the right side of the columns. See if that holds.

Virginia

Thank you, Virginia. This idea works!

In consideration of the positive improvements between versions 5/6, you would think nothing would be lost in the upgrade to version 7.

I appreciate your perseverance!

Roy