Sign in to follow this  
EdBall

Help with Export? Extract?

I could sure use some help. I have made an error trying to import a file from another program into mine. All came over ok and I tried to merge into my file and apparently did it wrong (A to B or B to A) I don't know which, but then I did it the other way and now I have all duplicates. I need to fix it, preferrably by creating a new project or data set. I tried something, I think extract? and created a new data set with all the right people, but I couldn't access the Master Source List and possibly other things. If I could export/extract all people with ID nos. from 1 to 5000 for example while retaining all the tags, relationships, master lists, repositories, etc., I could be where I need to be. All the duplicates are say ID nos. 5001 to 10000. I hope there is a better way to fix it than merging 5000+ duplicates. Can anyone help me?

Ed,

Please look at my article on Merging. I think your first issue is not understanding that "merge" doesn't actually delete the second data set, but only copies the data from it to the first, then leaves both intact. You probably just need to now delete one of the data sets.

But if in fact many of the people appear in both data sets, you will end up with many duplicates when you merge. In that case, it is often better to Copy selected from one data set to the other, rather than Merge the two. If you want to explore that method, there is another article on my site that discusses the issues you need to be aware of to get the results you expect when Copying.

Thanks Terry, I will give it a look. I am not sure I explained very well what I did and I am not sure I know myself. I merged A to B, then B to A, which resulted in two (I think) identical data sets with a full set of duplicates in each. Eliminating one of the data sets would leave me with one data set in which all the people in it are duplicated. Ex: ID 1:1 is the same as ID 1:5001 and 1:2 is the same as 1:5002 and so on. Thanks again.

I think I know what I have done wrong, but I need to know how to fix it. Is it possible to create from one data set a new data set or project/data set along with all customizations, sources, places, etc.? If so, what would be the best method?

Thanks Terry, I will give it a look. I am not sure I explained very well what I did and I am not sure I know myself. I merged A to B, then B to A, which resulted in two (I think) identical data sets with a full set of duplicates in each. Eliminating one of the data sets would leave me with one data set in which all the people in it are duplicated. Ex: ID 1:1 is the same as ID 1:5001 and 1:2 is the same as 1:5002 and so on. Thanks again.

Follow Terry's advice.

Perhaps this will help:

Original.........Contents

Dataset A...a = the original contents of Dataset A

Dataset B...b = the original contents of Dataset B

After copy A to B

Dataset A...a

Dataset B...ba

Then after copy B to A

Dataset A...aba

Dataset B...ba

They are not the same.