Tim Hill

Trial TMG v7 UK - but no Gurney sources

I have been fiddling around converting a UFT project to a TMG project, and all has gone well so far.

I now want to clean up my sources, and add some more. The sources i have available to me are the custom sources that i brought over from UFT. I really want to be able to create new sources based on a TMG standard, but not lose the sources and citations that i already have.

I have a couple of questions;

1. I see that I can switch from my custom sources to some TMG supplied ones, but I am surprised to see that I have Mills and Lackey as options, but not Gurney - I thought this was included in the UK edition? I was thinking Gurney might be the best for me as my sources are Australian and UK

2. If I change my source list from Custom to, say, Mills, will I lose any existing imported sources and citations? In reading the on-line help, esp regarding Initialisations i find things a little unclear.

Thanks,

- Tim

You want to create a new data set which should have the UK source types. Then merge that new data set into your existing data set and that should add the UK source types.

File / Data Set Manager

Alternatively, after you create the new data set, you can export all or some source types and import them to your existing data set.

Tools / Source Types / [Export] and [import] buttons

You do not want to change your existing source types from Custom to Mills source types as that will result in the loss of your imported source types. Not having Custom source types will also limit eliminate your ability to add custom source types. Bottom line... You always want to be using the Custom source types category and never use the option to change the source types category.

Jim,

Thanks for that - I did as you said and created a new data set, from which i could export both the Gurney and Mills sources types.

I then imported the Gurney source types into my project, which went well. I used a prefix to isolate them. I'm not sure if I will use all of them as some of the templates actually have less fields in them than the templates that I imported from UFT. Further, they don't have any Reminders which I was hoping for to get my thinking about Sources straight in my head.

On a whim I also imported the Mills source types (also using a prefix) and I expected to see these in my list of available source types too - but i don't. Am I right in thinking that Gurney source types are seen as a form of Custom source types, and since I have Custom source types active I can see them? Does this also mean the only way i can see Mills source types is to make these active for my project (which will then trash all of the sources i currently have and rob me of the ability to add my own custom types)?

Hmm, the harsh realities of source types!

- Tim

On a whim I also imported the Mills source types (also using a prefix) and I expected to see these in my list of available source types too - but i don't. Am I right in thinking that Gurney source types are seen as a form of Custom source types, and since I have Custom source types active I can see them? Does this also mean the only way i can see Mills source types is to make these active for my project (which will then trash all of the sources i currently have and rob me of the ability to add my own custom types)?

Tim,

How did you import the "Mills" Source Types? You should be able to see them.

No, it is not correct that you must use the Mills Source Category in order to see the Mills Source Types.

There are three Source Categories. The oldest is "Lackey," once upon a time the only one. When you use that, you can access only the Lackey Source Types, and you cannot add others.

Next is "Mills" - formerly the default. When you use it, you can access only the Mills Source Types, and you cannot add others.

Finally there is "Custom," currently the default for new Projects. It does not inherently have any Source Types, but by default is populated with Mills Source Types in the US edition. In the UK edition it is populated with the UK (Gurney) Source Types. With your system set to Custom you can add or import any other Source Types you like.

You should be able to import Mills Source Types into you current Data Set if you have them available. One way to make them available (since you are using the UK edition, which by default will use the UK Source Types) would be to make a new Project (not a new Data Set) and in it Initialize the Source Types to Mills. Then export those Source Types, and import them into your working Data Set.

Tim,

Again, do not change from Custom to Mills source categories in your working project.

If you contact me, I'll send you an export file for the Mills source types.

You can send me an email by clicking the link below...

Jim Byram