argothor

Globally change flag values

I'm wanting to change the flag value of numerous people to another already existing value. And with nearly 90,000 people in my data it would be a lot nicer if I could do this globally rather than one at a time.

Is that possible? If so, can anyone walk me through the steps to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Roger Dellinger

List of People report / Secondary Output tab

List of Events report / Secondary Output tab

You run a filtered report (such as Flag = some value) and use the Secondary Output tab for what to do such as change some flag to a selected value.

Make a backup before doing this so that you can experiment and revert if necessary.

Thanks for the response Jim, but now I have more questions that answers. I've used TMG for years but I have no idea what I'm suppose to do with List of People and List of Events Secondary Output nor do I know how to run a filtered report.

I do know how to make backups.

Can you be more detailed in your directions

Thanks

List of People report / Secondary Output tab

List of Events report / Secondary Output tab

You run a filtered report (such as Flag = some value) and use the Secondary Output tab for what to do such as change some flag to a selected value.

Make a backup before doing this so that you can experiment and revert if necessary.

Roger,

To make a mass change to Flags, you use the Secondary Output of the List of People report as Jim said. First you have to define the group of people whose flags you want to change so they can be included in the List of People report. There are three methods to do that:

1. Use a filter, in which you set one or more terms to define the group you want to include.

2. Use the Focus Group, in which you have added all the people. You can add people individually, or by using the "Add Others" feature to add spouses, ancestor, and/or descendants.

3. Use the Project Explorer, in which you have selected the people you want to include.

Which method is easier depends on how your group is defined. If you tell us what the people whose flags you want to change have in common we can suggest more specifically which of these methods to use.

Once you have done that, go to Options on the List of People report and on the Secondary Output tab, set it to change the Flag for the people who will be in the report.

Terry,

I have a Related-By flag in which I have a number of values including ? and U for unrelated. After reading your article on Related By flags, I thought I don't really need both of those values and I'm looking to get rid of the unrelated value and just go with the ? value.

I just ran Project Explorer to find all the people with the Related By value of U. There are 17,706 people showing in Project Explorer.

So now I need to do the Secondary Output of the List of People? If so, how do I do that? I see where there is a change Flag check box, how do I get it to apply to the people in Project Explorer and change "U" to "?"?

Roger

Roger,

To make a mass change to Flags, you use the Secondary Output of the List of People report as Jim said. First you have to define the group of people whose flags you want to change so they can be included in the List of People report. There are three methods to do that:

1. Use a filter, in which you set one or more terms to define the group you want to include.

2. Use the Focus Group, in which you have added all the people. You can add people individually, or by using the "Add Others" feature to add spouses, ancestor, and/or descendants.

3. Use the Project Explorer, in which you have selected the people you want to include.

Which method is easier depends on how your group is defined. If you tell us what the people whose flags you want to change have in common we can suggest more specifically which of these methods to use.

Once you have done that, go to Options on the List of People report and on the Secondary Output tab, set it to change the Flag for the people who will be in the report.

Roger,

This one is most easily done with a filter. Open the List of People report, and in the upper "Subject" box select Filtered Group. Then click on the Add button under the current filter name to create a new filter.

Select the name of your Related by flag in the drop-down under Field. Under Operator, select "= Equals." In the Value field, type in U.

Set up the Secondary Output to change the Related by flag to ? for the people who will appear in the list, and run the report. When it's done you will be asked to confirm the flag change.

Terry,

That did the trick.

Thanks.