Dealbarta

Opening Exhibit Folders

I have well over a 1,000 exhibits which are arranged in a hierarchal folder structure to provide easy access. Typically an exhibit is attached to a Source and at least one Tag. It could also be attached to a Citation.

Under XP and Vista I found that when attaching exhibits TMG always reverted to the root Exhibit Folder specified in Preferences – unlike most applications which open in the last used folder. I found that having to ‘drill down’ several layers when attaching an exhibit to more than one item a nuisance (to say the least) but accepted it as a part of TMG. It is also helpful to open in the last used folder when attaching a series of similar items, e.g. several Baptismal Register entries for the same Surname but belonging to different people.

Imagine my delight when I upgraded my operating system to Windows 7 Ultimate and found that exhibit folders opened in the last used folder. However, after a computer crash caused by a power supply failure I found that TMG had reverted to opening exhibits in the root Exhibit Folder. I have tried to get back to my preferred system of ‘last used folder’ (including consulting Windows 7 Help files) without success.

Can anyone tell me how I can get back to opening exhibit folders in the ‘last used folder’?

I can't comment on the specific issue you raised, but I have a suggestion for adding exhibits that may help you minimize the time you spend navigating subfolders.

To add exhibits, start in MS Windows and open the folder that contains the exhibits. For each record in TMG where you want to add an exhibit, open the exhibit log. Arrange the folder window and the TMG window so that you can see the filenames in the folder window and the main area of the exhibit log. To add an exhibit, start with the folder window in front and drag a file from the folder and drop it on the exhibit log window. When adding more than one exhibit from a folder, I think this is the fastest way.

When adding an exhibit, the folder specified in the Exhibits path in Preferences is opened. You can change this as you work on different exhibit folders but using drag-and-drop as John suggests is a much easier and faster solution.