Rod Deller

GOTERM error message on V7.04

I am running 7.04, Gold UK version, on Windows 7 on my Desktop and 7.03, Gold UK version, on XP on a laptop. I have no problems whatsoever with the laptop version.

The Desktop version was running perfectly but has started to produce GOTERM error message on startup in a series of 3 screen message. I choose the ignore option on each message to get TMG to start. I then have to ‘restore’ the project on each opening.

Within TMG if I select reports/list of names (example) with Print Preview option selected I get an Invalid Path or File Name error message, if ignore is selected the print is previewed.

If I select Family Group Sheet option I get Invalid Path or File Name 339.REPORTOBJ.MRRWREPORT error.

The only thing I have done differently recently is to restore a backup from the laptop to the desktop. Could this be the cause of these problems?

So far I have uninstalled TMG from the desktop, then removed all remaining TGM folders from various locations and reinstalled using tmg7setup.exe. On install I do not amend any of the options provided. However, I am still getting the same error messages listed above after installation.

Would appreciate any assistance in resolving above situation.

What is the environment on your desktop?

Also, check the paths in Preferences on your desktop.

I would also suggest running the same TMG version on both machines (although this has nothing to do with the GOTERM error.

Most of the posts on the GOTERM error have been reported by users running TMG in a Virtual Machine on an Intel processor based Mac.

As Jim suggests check the paths in preferences.

Also check the help file topics on Data File Storage, the paths specified in the help file for Vista also apply to Windows 7

Jim/Glenn

Thanks for the response gents but you will have to be gentle, not very good at this file system bit and after reading Data File Storage now totally confused.

This is what I have:

The startup Icon on the desktop has

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7\tmg7.exe"

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7"

In TMG under Preferences/Options/Programme Options/ General

C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\

In TMG under Preferences/Options/Current Programme Options

General: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\ DellerFamily__.PJC

Advanced Options

Backups: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Backups\

Configuration Files: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Configuration_files\

Exhibit Folder: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Exhibits\

Export: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Export\

Repeat Files: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Repeat_files\

Report Output: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Report_output\

Slideshow: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Slideshow\

Timelines: C:\Users\Rod Deller\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Timelines\

That is all the places I could find that have file path associations.

So gents what do I have to change?

Most of the posts on the GOTERM error have been reported by users running TMG in a Virtual Machine on an Intel processor based Mac.

Glenn,

I'm also getting it in a Virtual Machine in Windows 7 - in XP Mode. I've not yet tried to run down the issue as I use it only occasionally and so far it hasn't been a problem. It typically indicates a path error?

Rod,

Those are the default paths and have no problems.

You didn't answer the question about environment.

Jim

Jim, you will have to explain that requirement in a bit more detail as it does not mean a great deal to me :blink:

Where do I look to find this out?

What kind of computer are you running on? What is the operating system environment. Glenn and Terry have already pointed out that this is an error usually seen when Windows is running under a virtual machine such as under Parallels or VMWare on a Mac or under VirtualPC under Windows.

I have a HP Touch Smart 600-1030UK PC,with Inter Core ™2 duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00Ghs with a 64-bit operating system.

I hope that is what you mean?

I have managed to resolve the GOTERM issue by following the Data_paths.txt in Customising Data File Storage in the Help system. TMG now remembers and can load the last project :thumbsup:

Will now tackle the print error problems I encounter, so I maybe back for some help on that IDC :unsure:

Thanks to one and all for your assistance, I am not the brightest candle in the cathedral when it comes to computers, but I do try :lol:

. . .

Will now tackle the print error problems I encounter, so I maybe back for some help on that IDC :unsure:

Thanks to one and all for your assistance, I am not the brightest candle in the cathedral when it comes to computers, but I do try :lol:

I assume that the print error you mention is not the preview issue, as that has probably been fixed by your success with data_paths.txt.

I see you are running a 64-bit version of your operating system. TMG 7 will not write word processor files when running in a 64-bit system. If that is the print problem you are having it is because of that mismatch. This has been fixed in TMG 8 whose release we are all hoping is imminent. The only work-arounds are to run TMG7 in a 32-bit environment, either on another computer, or in what is called "virtual XP mode." The latter is complex to arrange and has a number of disadvantages which have been discussed elsewhere in this forum.

I hope this helps -- all good wishes.

Robert

PS Computers and their lingo can be learned. I think most of us learn enough to accomplish what we want. You should feel free to ask questions -- there are some wonderfully helpful people on this forum who can really help you make TMG do what you need it to do.

R.

Edited by Robert Jacobs

Cheers Robert, appreciated, but it appears, at the moment anyway, the problems I was having were linked to the previous GOTERM problem as they have disappeared :clap:

I am aware of the 64-bit problems and restore to my laptop version if I need to print etc, but that does not happen that often. However, if I do encounter any more problems this is the first place I will look, search or ask for an answer.

Like you, and probably many other TMG Users, I hope the release of TMG 8 is imminent. I am currently looking around for other options 'just in case', but finding something with similar capabilities as TMG is proving a touch difficult :fear:

Glenn,

I'm also getting it in a Virtual Machine in Windows 7 - in XP Mode. I've not yet tried to run down the issue as I use it only occasionally and so far it hasn't been a problem. It typically indicates a path error?

Terry,

It sounds like a data_paths.txt file worked for Rod. :cool:

In a Parallels VM on the Mac only the User Data path needs to be specified, maybe Rod can tell us if he specified all three paths or just the User Data path :question:

I need help updating the advice about solving the GOTERM variable problem for TMG v8 and Win7.

I'm running TMG 8 under VmWare Fusion (v3.1.3 if it matters) on a Mac. I recently upgraded to Win7, and I get the 3 error messages, "Variable [or Object] 'GOTERM' is not found'" as described in this thread. However, the solution given isn't working for me.

The advice under Help in "Customizing Data File Storage" says I want:

Windows 7 and Windows Vista

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v8 (Shared Program Data Files)

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v8 (User Program Data Files)

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8 (User Data Files)

First, my TMG program is in C:\Program Files (x86)\TMG v8 . There is NO folder C:\ProgramData at all. There is a Libraries folder that has a Documents subfolder, and under that Documents and Public Documents folders. Other programs that I've installed for all users have put some things in Public Documents, which resolves to C:\Users\Public\Documents--is that what I should use for the shared program data files (that is, C:\Users\Public\Documents\TMG v8)?

Second, my user data files are in Z:\Genealogy\TMG v8 , a folder on the Mac file system that is mounted on the PC side under VMWare. The path is \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Genealogy\TMG v8. TMG v8 works fine getting and putting data to either of these synonymous paths.

Since upgrading to Win7, I can no longer start TMG v8 and have Open Last Project active--I have to select the location each time, and I get 3 GOTERM errors each time I start TMG. Once I get past the errors and get TMG running, everything works normally.

According to the advice in the help file, I didn't need to customize the shared program data location, so I placed a Data_paths.txt in C:\Program Files (x86)\TMG v8 that contains:

[barb]

UserProgramData=\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Genealogy\TMG v8

UserData=\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Genealogy\TMG v8

I placed the same file in \\vmware-host\Shared Folders\Documents\TMG v8, which is where my Libraries\Documents\Documents\TMG v8 folder points to.

I repeat, \\vmware-host\Shared Folders is mounted on Z: , and in every case I've tried, they are equivalent.

I'm not new to PC stuff but I'm new to Win7. Can someone provide some updated advice, please?

In the course of the previous discussion, Jim Byram asked,

"What is the environment on your desktop?

Also, check the paths in Preferences on your desktop."

Does this mean PC or Mac side, and how do you do that on Win7 if you meant on the PC side?

Thanks very much,

Barbara

Barbara -

There should be a folder C:\ProgramData.

In TMG v8, click on Help / Access Folders on the top menu and you will see a list similar to the screenshot below from my v8 installation, showing the locations of the Data File Storage Folders. If you rightclick on the folder location the path will be copied to the clipboard for pasting into Windows Explorer, or you can doubleclick the path to go to that folder.

AccessFolders1.jpg

If you cannot find the folder, it may be that you do not have Windows Explorer set to display Hidden Files and Folders. In Win7:

1 - Start button / Control Panel / Appearance and Personalization / Folder Options

2 - View tab

3 - Advanced settings / Show hidden files and folders / OK

In TMG v8, to check your folder Preference settings: Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced, check to verify that the paths there reflect the actual locations. Note these options are specific to a project.

Virginia

Please see my article http://www.whollygen...showtopic=13018

While written for Parallels, I believe VM Ware Fusion functions in much the same way.

Also while \\vmware-host\ and Z: (or other drive letter) are equivalent it has been my experience that TMG does NOT like a path starting with \\

My article explains how to fix a broken installation.

Edited by ggilbert1

Thanks, Glenn, your article at least got rid of the GOTERM problem. It does not find my data folder (using Z:), but it is at least no worse than it was under Windows XP.

Barbara

Barbara

To avoid problems your data should be located on the Windows side C:UsersusernameDocumentsThe Master Genealogist v8Projects also all the other supporting folders/files should be on the Windows side. The only execption is exhibits, and backups, I have not had any problems with exhibits and backups located on the Mac side.

VM Ware maps (assigns) Mac folders drive letters, for example your Mac Home folder may be mapped to drive Z in the Windows file system.

If I tell Parallels to share my Mac hard drive with Windows, it is mapped to drive letter Z, and my home folder is mapped to drive letter Y.

Edited by ggilbert1