Sign in to follow this  
dgcrouch

Apply Formatting Codes - [:CR:] and [:TAB:] still displayed

I apologize for asking a very basic question. I am trying to enter the following formatted text into the sentence for an OCCUPATION event tag:

Robert Gardner and his brother-in-law, Arthur Bell opened an ironmonger store called Bell & Gardner in Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia circa 1865. An adverisement in The (Rockhampton) Bulletin dated 07 January 1865 reads:

BELL & GARDNER have now made

arrangements for having direct shipments

of Ironmongery from Britain. The first is to

land per "Elizabeth Anne Bright," consisting

of-

Bar and rod iron

Axles blocks and boxes

Bolts and nuts

Horse shoes and nails

Holloware

Cutlery, &c, &c.

Sometime thereafter, they opened another ironmonger store in Maryborough, Queensland along with Charles R. Powell called Powell, Gardner & Bell. On 15 November 1875, the partnerships with Arthur Bell were disolved. Arthur Bell went on to operate the ironmonger store in Rockhampton under the name Arthur Bell & Co. but soon declared bankruptcy. Charles Powell and Robert Gardner continued to operate the ironmonger store in Maryborough under the new name, Powell & Gardner. However, Robert Gardner left before the end of 1877 bound for new opportunities in New Zealand. It is not known whether Charles Powell continued to operate the ironmonger business in Maryborough after Robert Gardner's departure.

1. In the sentence structure field, I press <F7> to open a larger memo window for editting.

2. I right click in the memo field and select "Apply Formatting Codes"

As I am entering text, I highlight appropriate sections and select itallics by a right click using the mouse. As I toggle between "Apply Formating Codes" and "Show Formatting Codes" I either see these sections in itallics or the underlying formatting codes, as expected.

I inserted carriage returns [:CR:] and tabs [:TAB:] to achieve the formatting above. However, when I select "Apply Formating Codes" the formatting codes [:CR:] and [:TAB:] remain and the text is not shown as the expected output.

If I right click with the mouse and select "Show no codes", a new, read-only window appears. The all formatting codes are gone but the displayed text does not reflect the expected formatting.

Questions:

1. Am I doing something wrong when entering a larger amount of text with formatting?

2. Is there a better alternative to entering and formatting text? For example, what are the advantages and disadvantages of leaving the sentence blank and attaching the formatted text as an external RTF, HTML or DOC exhibit?

The above procedure just feels so 1980ish.

Thanks!

David

Those codes still show when editing the memo. But to get a preview of how the sentence will look, OK the Edit window and click on the Sentence button. That preview will show the extra carriage returns and tabs. The key concept is that the memo is only part of the sentence, so only the character formatting is shown in the memo edit window.