Sign in to follow this  
chasco

Starting report sentences with b., d. or m.?

Is there any way to force TMG to start a sentence with b., d., or m.? Have tweaked TMG and gotten rid of the "He/she was born ... married ... died" sentences. Prefer just to say "b. date place", etc., but TMG starts each sentence with B., D., M. Have resorted to putting a hyphen in front and that seems to work: -b. date place.

One other oddity. Have created a Note tag which has as its sentence Source: (that is, Source-colon), but for some reason in reports, it always comes out as Source; (Source semi-colon). Colons do show up correctly elsewhere if used in any text after the "Source;" So any idea of what the problem is here?

Thanks for any help.

Oh, and I wish there were a way to send queries to the TMG-Roots list without subscribing to it. I like to browse through it once or twice a week, but it is way too busy to get even in digest form, I think.

Hi,

It would help to know what report you are using where you want a "sentence" to start with a lowercase character, or are using the Note with the "Source:" text. There are probably ways to do what you want, but it would help to know the specifics.

This Forum is officially sponsored by WhollyGenes. As for the TMG-Roots list, that is run strictly by users for users. I am not sure, but I believe the rules requiring subscription to send queries are common for all "rootsweb.ancestry.com" lists, as that helps prevent spammers from sending junk messages to a list.

You might try escaping the colon Source\: and see what happens

I use RSS Really Simple Syndication to read many Rootsweb Lists, however like Michael I also believe you have to be subscribed to post.

You might try escaping the colon Source\: and see what happens

I use RSS Really Simple Syndication to read many Rootsweb Lists, however like Michael I also believe you have to be subscribed to post.

Hi,

Individual Narrative and Journal reports are the two I've been fiddling around with. Guess I will stick with -b., -d., -m. If worse comes to worst and I ever really print anything permanent out, can use a word processor to strip out the "-".

As regards the Source-colon problem, even tried using two hyphens (Source--), but still end up with "Source--;" as a result. Strange. Guess I could also simply type in "Source:" each time I add something to the Note tag and omit it from the sentence.

Thanks to you both for your advice and time.

Sorry I didn't notice this was posted in the v6 section, I think the backslash escape was introduced in v7.

BTW the problem with the : does not appear to exist in v7.04