206bones

List of BMD sources

Despite having had TMG for several years, I still struggle with compiling unique reports. Once again, I am hoping the forum members can help me.

I am looking to create a list of ancestors [of a specific person, not the entire database] with a list of the sources of the birth, marriage, deaths.

I'm looking for a list to help me see better which primary sources I have / lack.

Thanks. Cindy

Edited by 206bones

I would just create a ancestor Journal report.

The specific person should be the subject.

Select Ancestors on the Options / General tab.

Select the Birth, Marriage, Death tags on the Options / Tags tab / Tag Types / Selected.

Select endnotes on the Options / Exhibits tab.

Then work through the report to see the data and citations that you have and don't have.

I think Jim's suggestion will work well. But you might also go to the Publication Tools tab of the Journal report Options and be sure that Bibliography is checked. That will give you the list of those sources cited on those selected tags, which seems to be what you were asking for.

I would suggest an Ahnentafel report which does not print the children for each generation.

Also, I disagree the Bibliography will help with Cindy's request. A Bibliography is cumulative and Cindy was asking for which events had a source citation.

Make sure you select the properly surety on the General Tab of the Report Options. If you do not use sureties, check "No Threshold" and "Include blank sureties." If you do use sureties, on the Sources tab of the Report Options you have the option of choosing "Show surety" which places the surety in brackets at the end of the endnote.

Edited by JanisR

Thank you for the feedback.

I like both the Journal and Ahnentafel reports. When I print as pdf, it shows the source numbers but does not give me a list of endnotes / sources.

I have tried printing as a Word doc, but I get 2 errors:

1. WordPort error, with exclamation mark.

then

2. Conversion error #20: unknown error - contact tech support.

I like both the Journal and Ahnentafel reports. When I print as pdf, it shows the source numbers but does not give me a list of endnotes / sources.

You have to run the Endnotes report after running the Journal or Ahnentafel to get the notes when you output to PDF.

I have tried printing as a Word doc, but I get 2 errors:

1. WordPort error, with exclamation mark.

then

2. Conversion error #20: unknown error - contact tech support.

Are you using a 64-bit version of Windows? TMG7 does not support output to Word on 64-bit systems. That will be fixed in version 8 when it is released. In the meantime the best solution is to run the report on another system running 32-bit Windows (maybe a laptop if you have one). You can install XP Mode, which runs a 32-bit version of Windows XP, but that requires one of the higher-priced version of Windows 7, and is a bit of a hassle.