Sign in to follow this  
billdebwhitt

Backup - TMG Closes before Backup Completed

I'm running TMG 7.04 on Windows XP SP3 and am a long-time TMG user. Yesterday, I kept receiving 'OLE exception error: Exception code c00000fd. OLE object may be corrupt' when attempting to backup my primary database. I completed all of the 'maintenance' activities without any errors being noted on the 'Last VFI' file.

Contacted Tech Support over the phone and was advised to download the installation file from whollygenes and reinstall over the existing installation. DONE - Same error even after running all maintenance routines once again (no errors).

Tech Support had advised me to remove TMG from my pc and reinstall 'fresh' if the 1st step didn't work. I copied of my project files and exhibit files, etc over to a safe location on another drive before removing the application and reinstalling. Removed TMG, restarted pc, reinstalled TMG, and restarted pc. Copied the 'saved' files to the appropriate locations, reindexed and optimized, refreshed all thumbnails, and validated file integrity once again (no errors).

Attempted to backup my master database. No OLE error BUT the application closed automatically as soon as the first part of the project database were backed up.

I then attempted to backup the Sample database - NO PROBLEM.

Can anyone offer any advice about the next steps I should attempt? Other than backup, the application appears to be working fine BUT backup is absolutely critical.

Thanks in advance! Debbie

UPDATE:

I was finally able to back up all pieces of the project EXCEPT exhibits without getting an error. Subsequently removed (temporarily) all exhibits added since upgrading from 7.03 to 7.04. Again was able to backup successfully. However, the 352 removed exhibits were not included.

I'm now adding each 'post 7.04' exhibit back individually (or in very small batches) and backing up with each new addition. I am frequently getting the error message:

Program Error - OLE exception error: Exception Cde c00000fd. OLE object may be currupt.

What I seem to be finding is that some sort of compression created in my 'photo' software when I save a file as 'gray scale'. I haven't changed or upgraded either of mt photo editing software programs (PhotoImpact and Roxio Creator Pro 2010 PhotoSuite)

In 7.04: Was something changed about the reading of exhibit files during backup that could be causing these OLE errors? I am heavily into documentation and use exhibits extensively.

Thanks in advance! Debbie

UPDATE - After almost one week with this problem, I was FINALLY able to backup all program files, customizations, database INCLUDING 4108 EXHIBITS without any problems. Still don't have a clue about what could have caused the problem.

Will post again if problem reoccurs. Thanks! Debbie

Mysteriously resolution. I still have jpg, bmp, gif, pdf, xls and doc files still included in my exhibits. The only thing I did differently before getting a fully successful FULL backup, was:

1 - Removed all exhibits for the first 33 folks in my database (to a safe location)

2 - Validated file integrity (which correctly showed the missing exhibits)

3 - Reindexed

4 - Optimized

5 - Backup again (without the subset of removed exhibits)

BACKUP Successful.

6 - Moved the relocated exhibits back to the correct folder

7 - Validated file integrity (which correctly showed NO missing exhibits)

8- Reindexed

9 - Optimized

10 - Backup again (without the subset of removed exhibits)

BACKUP Successful. WHEW!!!

Don't know if this is applicable, but my problems seem to have started when the FULL BACKUP got to be over 1 GB.

Edited by billdebwhitt