JennyC

TMG 7 on mac

I bought a new mac laptop. I would like to load TMG using parallels to be able to have my files on the go. I did back up the files from a different computer which is no longer working. I'm having problems restoring the file on my mac. How do I get it to restore? Is this possible using paralles, which runs windows 7.

Yes I have been reading this article, thank you. I can't seem to find the post about Customizing Data File Storage. I have TMG uninstalled as importing was not working even after I added the data_paths.txt file but I also have no clue what I'm doing.

Help Topics

- Data File Storage

- - Data File Storage for Advanced Users

- - - Customizing Data File Storage

- - - Creating User Data File Folders for Each Project

Check the links at the bottom of each topic to get to the next.

If you ask specific questions regarding the Mac and Parallels, Glenn will respond.

Please explain fully "...importing was not working..."

Ok back to basics, what help topics? I don't see that here on the message board. Is that located in TMG? If so the posting reads before you install TMG to read Customizing Data File Storage topic.

Otherwise the install of TMG works great. I added the data_paths.txt file then tried to restore my backups from the old pc. It went through the restore process and at the end error message of No restore came up.

I only have this program running with Parallels. In fact this is the only reason I installed parallels. I have done so well with everything else on this mac seeing I have never touched one before. Help!

Jenny,

You can skip the Help Topic, and avoid having to read about data_paths.txt, if you are willing to modify Parallels to keep the Windows "My Documents" folder in the Windows file system. That's what I did, and it's simple and effective. I see no great advantage of mixing the My Documents folder with the Home folder under OS X.

I am using Parallels v4. To disable sharing the My Documents folder with OS X, you use the Virtual Machine > Configuration command and then navigate to the "Shared Profile" section. Uncheck "Enabled", and that's it. I believe you have to make that change before the Virtual Machine is running, so start Parallels, but don't boot Windows.

With the change above, you can install TMG v7 the same way as someone using a real PC.

Thank you I have the sharing disabled and everything loaded like a charm. I do prefer to have the system this way as I can tell the two systems apart. I can still work with both systems without rebooting. That was the main reason for parallels and not going with bootcamp.