chasco

Using Focus group to copy people to another dataset

Hi,

I imported a GEDCOM file (which became dataset 4) into my project. I created a focus group of 414 people descended from one man in dataset 4 in order to copy them into dataset 1. When I try to copy them into dataset 1, by clicking on "Copy person(s)" and following the instructions there, I get error messages: "File access is denied c:\the master genealogist\clone.dbf .... 199 CLONEIT" or if I click on ignore or retry, I get: "File access denied ... \clone.fpt .... 200 CLONEIT" or something similar. Only one person was copied into dataset 1, the ancestor of the other 413.

Any idea of what is wrong? What is the clone.dbf/fpt?? Should I contact tech support for this?

Thanks for any help.

What operating system?

What TMG version?

Using Copy Person(s) to copy a list from a focus group from data set #4 to data set #1 should work with no problem. The error sounds like some sort of permissions issue.

People do occasionally report errors accessing files located in the temp folder.

I have no way to help you if you're running TMG6 since I no longer have an installation.

Be sure to run optimize, validate file integrity and optimize in that order.

File / Maintenance

Have Windows XP home ed., SP3. Sent an email to Whollygenes tech support and apparently they no longer support version 6 and suggested I download a trial version of TMG 7. Whatever happened has also apparently corrupted the integrity of dataset 1 so that now Second Site does not operate correctly. Seems I can have the Name and Master (Name) indices, but cannot generate a Place Master index. Get that only if I want to generate the Place Master index alone. It worked fine before I tried to copy these 414 people to dataset 1--all three indices were there. And yes, I optimized, validated the file integrity, more than once.

Sheesh.

With TMG not running, delete all .CDX files in the project folder. Restart TMG and see if the issues are fixed.

If the database files are really damaged, you'll need to revert to a backup but try the above first.