gazza

PDF Printer

When saving a report to a pdf file I am getting "Activation Error: Printer not activated, error code 20".. WG PDF writer is installed. However it is not showing on the Selected List on Printer Setup.

I am using Windows 7 (32 bit) and the latest version of TMG.

How do I rectify the problem?

Thanks

Have you installed the PDF printer in TMG?

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

You never select the TMG PDF printer driver to output a report. If you choose the report output to Acrobat (PDF), TMG will send the report to the TMG PDF printer driver.

Have you installed the PDF printer in TMG?

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

You never select the TMG PDF printer driver to output a report. If you choose the report output to Acrobat (PDF), TMG will send the report to the TMG PDF printer driver.

The Printer has been installed for some time, and I do realise that TMG sends the report to the driver. I was just surprised that the PDF driver does not show in the Priner Setup, and wondered if that created the problem.

When I last created a PDF Report I cannot recall having any pronlem albeit was some time ago.

Any thoughts?

I was just surprised that the PDF driver does not show in the Priner Setup, and wondered if that created the problem.

I don't know what you are saying. If you install the PDF driver from TMG (as above), it is listed as a printer driver in the system Devices and Printers list - "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3". While the PDF driver is in the list, it cannot be used as a selected printer either from TMG or from any other application. The only way that it can be used is by outputting a report to Acrobat (PDF) from TMG.

I was just surprised that the PDF driver does not show in the Priner Setup, and wondered if that created the problem.

I don't know what you are saying. If you install the PDF driver from TMG (as above), it is listed as a printer driver in the system Devices and Printers list - "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3". While the PDF driver is in the list, it cannot be used as a selected printer either from TMG or from any other application. The only way that it can be used is by outputting a report to Acrobat (PDF) from TMG.

Okay - you have answered that part of my query - thanks.

Now back to the topic in hand. How can I get rid of this Error 20 message. I do have Acrobat (PDF) checked in Reports/Output Tpes in Preferences.

If you don't see it in the Devices and Printers list, you have not yet installed it. Having the Acrobat (PDF) checked in Reports/Output Types in Preferences only gives you that as an option for output of a report. Now selecting PDF for your output type for an actual report will try to use the driver. But if it is not installed, or has somehow become uninstalled, then is when you will see the Error 20 message. That is why Jim is focused on being sure it is actually installed, which would mean you can see it in the Devices and Printers list. You said: "I was just surprised that the PDF driver does not show in the Printer Setup". If by "Printer Setup" you mean the Devices and Printers list, then it is not installed.

Tje printer is installed. Also to make sure it was, I earlier clicked on Install PDF printer and was "told" The PDF Printer is already installed.