Alexander Payne

TMG 7.04 Tag Event

Trying to set up a migration tag that allows one to enter the from location and the to location. How could I do this in TMG v7.04. And how other TMG users handle this type of event

I have a similar situation, i.e., where there are two locations involved but space for only one in a tag. Mine involves a source(s) giving a location which did not exist at the time of the event, generally a county which was formed from a county. A good example would be Montgomery County, Maryland, which was formed in 1776 from Frederick County, Maryland. For example I have numerous sourced events giving so and so was born in prior to 1776 in Montgomery County.

I have a custom tag (which I have called Locale) with a sentence structure "The source(s) lists the location as [L] which was not created until [M]". To use it for a birth I enter the birth event with the date and the actual county which existed at the time of the event. Using the sort date feature I immediately have the Locale event following the birth tag with the later county location and the date the newer county was formed in the memo. This gives me two events similar to the following:

John Doe was born in 1760 in Frederick County, Maryland. The source(s) list the location as Montgomery County, Maryland which was not created until 1776.

You could have a similar pair of tags. You could use the Address tag for the from location and then have a custom tag with a sentence structure similar to: "From there he moved [D] <to [L]><. [M]>". The memo could give any particulars about the move, the reason, etc. The order and grammar could be changed around into several different forms depending upon what you like.

Hope this gives you a start on the situation.

Mike

Terry's idea works quite well except if you want the from location to appear in the location master list or the place index in Second Site. 95% of the time the from location will probably be in some other event such as birth or marriage but for the other 5% it would not. Just a potential consideration depending upon your individual situation. His idea does reduce the number of events in the database.

Mike

Similar to Terry, I have two custom tags that I use: "Moved-From" and "Moved-To". The following are my sentence templates for the various roles I have created. "Principal" is used if there is only one leader to the move. Usually it is a family, so I assign the two parents as the two Principals (P1=male, P2=female) but with the role "Couple". Children of the head are linked as Witnesses with the role "child", and any others that came with the group are Witnesses with the role "resident".

Principal"[P]<|and [PO]><with [RG:child]><, and with [R:resident],> moved to< [M1]> [L]<[D]>< [M2]><. [M3]>"CoupleMale: "<[P]|[P1F]><|and [P2]><with [RG:child]><, and with [R:resident],> moved to< [M1]> [L]<[D]>< [M2]><. [M3]>"Female: "<[P]|[P2F]><|and [P1]><with [RG:child]><, and with [R:resident],> moved to< [M1]> [L]<[D]>< [M2]><. [M4]>"child:"[W] moved to< [M1]> [L]<[D]> with <[P]|[P1F]><|and [P2]>< [M2]><. [WM]>"resident: "[W] moved to< [M1]> [L]<[D]> with [P]<|and [PO]>< [M2]><. [WM]>"

As Mike points out, you only get one Location in the Master Place List, so the other goes in the second part of my split memo. Thus I usually put the most complete or accurately known Location in the Place fields, and the other in the memo, and just use either From or To as appropriate. An example of the split memo might be:

their new homestead on a 34 acre farm||probably from their tiny farm in Calhoun County, Ohio

Hope this gives you ideas,

Terry's idea works quite well except if you want the from location to appear in the location master list or the place index in Second Site. 95% of the time the from location will probably be in some other event such as birth or marriage but for the other 5% it would not. Just a potential consideration depending upon your individual situation. His idea does reduce the number of events in the database.

Mike

If you are working from ships' passenger lists, you usually only know the ports the ship left from and arrived at. When my great grandparents came from Buckinghamshire, England to northern Minnesota, they left from Southampton and arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia. That trip was probably the only time most of them came close to the sea, let alone did anything else significant in those ports. Another of my great-great grandparents sailed to New York and stayed a winter on Long Island with his sister, before moving on to their destination in Wisconsin. Many Irish immigrants sailed from Liverpool, although that was probably the only time they were in England

The only solution in TMG is to use the location field for one of the ends of the trip and put the other in the memo (and maybe restructure the sentence template to deal with a split memo), or else have both a departure and an arrival tag. You could have one of those two tags not be printed in reports, but I think it would show up in a place list, if that is what you want to see.

A while back I was wondering about the possibility of setting up a migration tag that allows one to enter the from location and the to location and some users were using two tags for this event. I have since learned that using 2 tags is the only route to go as other events can occur between the departure and arrival dates, such as events on the ship as a marriage, death, birth, job hire etc. By using the 2 tags for departure and arrival allows the events to remain in date order as a number of events can happen before the arrival