chubb8

Old text stuck in Bio/Note tag drop down window

I entered text in a Biography tag, then edited it at a later date. At a still later time, I noticed that the original text remained in the Biography drop down window and when I edited the Biography tag, the Memo field displayed the new edited text. Additionally the the old text is exported to the GEDCOM.

I tried deleting the tag and adding a new tag for the bio info I want displayed. The old text comes back no matter what type of tag I use.

Any ideas how to correct this problem?

Craig Hubbard

Very strange. Have you tried the File Maintenance routines? I would suggest Optimize, followed by Verify File Integrity, finished with a final Optimize.

Craig -

Could you clarify in what window(s) you are editing and seeing the unchanged text, i.e. what you mean by your 'Biography drop-down window' as opposed to your 'Biography tag Memo field'? Is one the memo of the Biography tag in the person's Detail view and the other in the Biography tag in the Tag-Type list?

Virginia

Craig,

I've never seen nor heard of this issue before. I'd hazard a guess that you actually have two copies of the tag, and are editing only one of them.

Delete the tag. Do not re-enter it. Then export the file to GEDCOM or print a report for the individual. If the tag is still there than you have the duplicate Terry has mentioned. If so delete it again.

The other Mike

I'll try explain my problem better.

I use a biography tag to compile bio info for an individual.

I rewrote the Bio tag Memo text for an individual and copied/pasted it into the Memo of the Bio tag.

Afterwards the old text appears in the Preview of Sentence Structure.

and

the new text appears in the Bio tag Memo.

How can I remove the old text from the Preview of Sentence Structure.

Thank you

Craig Hubbard

Did you open the Tag Entry screen, click on the [sentence] button, and check the Sentence structures field?

Yes, I did this and the old text is stuck in the Sentence Structure Preview.

I see no way to get rid of the old text.

Did you open the Tag Entry screen, click on the [sentence] button, and check the Sentence structures field?

Yes, I did this and the old text is stuck in the Sentence Structure Preview.

I see no way to get rid of the old text.

The Sentence Structure field has only [M]

Going back to your original post, I have no idea what you mean by "Biography drop down window".

If you send me a backup, I'll take a look. The backup should include the project files, accents, filters and nothing else to keep the size down. If it's too large to email, write me and I'll provide an alternative.

I would need to know the person's ID# and the tag to examine.

You can contact me by clicking on the link below...

Jim Byram

Craig -

Maybe we can get on the same page with a screenshot of the general area I think you are talking about. I have used an Anecdote tag which is similar. Is it the Preview in the Sentence Structures window that you are seeing the problem?

Biography.png

Virginia

Craig -

Maybe we can get on the same page with a screenshot of the general area I think you are talking about. I have used an Anecdote tag which is similar. Is it the Preview in the Sentence Structures window that you are seeing the problem?

post-23-1305219887_thumb.png

Virginia

Yes, the old text is in the Preview field. I can highlight it, but cannot delete it.

Craig,

Finally figured it out. You have a typo.

In the memo, you have...

M.A. [Margaret Ann} Barns, 57, mother-in-law, b. TN.

And probably intended...

M.A. [Margaret Ann] Barns, 57, mother-in-law, b. TN.

The misplaced right brace is fouling the nest and explains exactly what was happening. Only the part of the memo after the brace was (correctly) showing in the preview and being exported (using the export default settings).

btw... You need to run optimize, validate file integrity, optimize.

Jim

Craig,

Finally figured it out. You have a typo.

In the memo, you have...

M.A. [Margaret Ann} Barns, 57, mother-in-law, b. TN.

And probably intended...

M.A. [Margaret Ann] Barns, 57, mother-in-law, b. TN.

The misplaced right brace is fouling the nest and explains exactly what was happening. Only the part of the memo after the brace was (correctly) showing in the preview and being exported (using the export default settings).

btw... You need to run optimize, validate file integrity, optimize.

Jim

Yup, that fixed it. Good eye.

I should have caught that, I was a technical writer/editor for 20 years.

Thank you, Virginia, and Terry very much for your patient help.

Craig

Edited by chubb8