Steve Carter

Shadows missing on box charts

I'm baffled by vanishing shadows on box charts. I've been using 7.04 for some time, making many box charts, with a standard gray shadow on the boxes. Tonight I made a bunch of these charts (output to BMP) and at first couldn't figure out why they looked funny. Eventually it dawned on me that the shadows were missing. I tried changing the shadow settings - no joy. Tried outputting to Visual Chartform - still no shadows. Is this a known issue? Hopefully there's a fix?

Steve -

I have not seen that problem. Try resetting the report configuration to its default settings (click the Delete button under the configuration name) and see if that clears it up.

Unless you have a special reason for outputting to a .bmp from the first screen, note that you can Export the chart as a jpg (or .bmp) after you generate the chart (from the File menu in VCF). That way you can use Print Preview to make sure the chart looks the way you want it to, like centered on the page, etc.

(I moved your message from the v7 forum to the VCF forum where other chart users will see it.)

Virginia

I have not seen that problem either though I don't ever output direct to BMP. I always view the chart in VCF then output as I desire from there.

You don't say what operating system you are using, whether it is 32bit or 64bit.

The box with a shadow is the standard box with its text and and equal sized filled rectangle placed behind it and displaced to right and down. These two items are internally coupled.

Try to new default configuration as suggested by Virginia. Try to select another shadow colour (say red) and see whether this works. In all cases look at the output in VCF. This may be a bug of direct output to BMP.

Once you report your results we may be able to identify the cause and hopefully a fix.

I'm baffled by vanishing shadows on box charts. I've been using 7.04 for some time, making many box charts, with a standard gray shadow on the boxes. Tonight I made a bunch of these charts (output to BMP) and at first couldn't figure out why they looked funny. Eventually it dawned on me that the shadows were missing. I tried changing the shadow settings - no joy. Tried outputting to Visual Chartform - still no shadows. Is this a known issue? Hopefully there's a fix?

Have never seen this problem and know of no way for the user to cause it. Since you have already verified the chart definition enabling shadows, there seems to be only two possibilities left. Either a computer glitch has disabled shadows or a glitch has changed the shadow color to white. To see which, in VCF draw a large rectangle around any person-box, color it any dark color, use the menu to send your rectangle to the back where the original person-box is visible and note whether there is a white shadow or not.

You now have a detail to tell tech support or you could just reinstall TMG.

Good luck, please let us know how it turns out,