Sign in to follow this  
John Schomaker

Adding Same Source and Citation Detail to Several Tags

I am seeking guidance on the efficient entry of data and common conventions.

Here is the situation: I have a German church book, which I have entered as a Source. For a citation detail I have entered a Page number and Entry number for a particular record in the book, and I have an exhibit (scan of the church book page) associated with the citation. I am using a birth church book entry as a source/citation for Birth and Son-Bio tags for both the father and mother. Am I "over citing" by putting a souce/citation with each tag? If not, what is an efficient way to enter the source, citation detail, and exhibit (which are identical for each tag) for the three tags? Now I am entering the data three times, once for each tag, and it is tiresome. I have a lot of births to record.

Thanks for any help and suggestions to this inexperienced user.

Welcome to TMG, John,

I think you should enter the details as you describe in each Citation Detail.

The simple way to do that is to put the cursor in either the Source Number or Citation Detail field in the Citation screen, and press the F3 (Repeat) key. Both the Source Number and Citation Detail entries most recently used will be recalled. You can recall older values by pressing the F3 key again and again, for up to 15 pairs. Or, you can see the list of most recent values by use of Ctrl-F3.

For more on data entry, I'd suggest you look at my Data Entry Tutorial.