Kim & Kelly Derrick

Automatic Relation Tag Problem

I am having trouble with the TMG 7 Automatic Relation Tag. This is not the Ctrl+R Relationship Calculator, which is working fine. This problem is with the Automatic Relation Tag at the top of the big Details window. (You turn it on in Files>Preferences>Current Project Options>Other> Automatic Relation Tag.)

My family is very interwoven. I frequently have a line that weaves into another line, changing (for instance) a cousin into a grandparent. When I re-run the Automatic calculation, the cousin's relationship should change from cousin to grandparent. Most of the time, the relationship changes, but sometimes the Relation Tag retains the old relationship (it still says cousin instead of grandparent). When I run the Ctrl+R Relationship Calculator, it shows that the "cousin" is indeed a grandparent, but sometimes I just can't get the correct grandparent relationship to show next to the Automatic Relation Tag. I also have an Accent running that highlights my direct line in turquoise, so I have two other systems that verify that the "cousin" is a grandparent. It bugs me that the Automatic Relation Tag keeps the "cousin" relationship, though. <_<

I have tried

1. disconnecting, re-running the calculcation (on the Other page) and reconnecting. This method is time-consuming. When I hook them back up, and re-run the calculation, the relationship reverts back to cousin.

2. I tried turning off the Automatic Relation tag, re-running the calculation and turning it back on. That didn't work either.

3. In desperation, I even tried turning off the Accent (I have one marking my direct line), and turning it back on. That didn't work either. :huh:

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

GeneQueen (aka Kim)

Is this the same automatic relationship tag issue that Support was working with a few days ago?

The normal method of updating is to open Preferences and simply click [Refresh relationships] on the Other tab. I don't understand why you would do steps 1 or 2 above.

I don't see any bug fixes for the automatic relationship tag for TMG8.

Make sure that you run Optimize / Validate File Integrity / Optimize.

Make sure that the relationship tags in all levels of this connection are primary from both sides for each tag (although there shouldn't be an issue since the relationship calculator works).

I'm just flailing about here. Someone will come along with some better ideas. If nothing else helps, I'll take a look at your project.

Edited by Jim Byram

I am having trouble with the TMG 7 Automatic Relation Tag. This is not the Ctrl+R Relationship Calculator, which is working fine. This problem is with the Automatic Relation Tag at the top of the big Details window. (You turn it on in Files>Preferences>Current Project Options>Other> Automatic Relation Tag.)

My family is very interwoven. I frequently have a line that weaves into another line, changing (for instance) a cousin into a grandparent. When I re-run the Automatic calculation, the cousin's relationship should change from cousin to grandparent. Most of the time, the relationship changes, but sometimes the Relation Tag retains the old relationship (it still says cousin instead of grandparent). When I run the Ctrl+R Relationship Calculator, it shows that the "cousin" is indeed a grandparent, but sometimes I just can't get the correct grandparent relationship to show next to the Automatic Relation Tag. I also have an Accent running that highlights my direct line in turquoise, so I have two other systems that verify that the "cousin" is a grandparent. It bugs me that the Automatic Relation Tag keeps the "cousin" relationship, though. <_<

I have tried

1. disconnecting, re-running the calculcation (on the Other page) and reconnecting. This method is time-consuming. When I hook them back up, and re-run the calculation, the relationship reverts back to cousin.

2. I tried turning off the Automatic Relation tag, re-running the calculation and turning it back on. That didn't work either.

3. In desperation, I even tried turning off the Accent (I have one marking my direct line), and turning it back on. That didn't work either. :huh:

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

GeneQueen (aka Kim)

I agree with Jim. When I had a similar problem, a few years ago, the cause was that a parent of an ancestor was not marked as primary (three of my grandparents are 4th to 6th cousins and several of their ancestors are cousins).

Good luck,

First, thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately they didn't help.

In reply to Jim:

I don't know if this is the same Auto Relation Tag problem that Support was working on a few days ago. I've only posted to the forum. I didn't contact Support directly. I hope they're working on it, but I don't know if they are. I did the Preferences>Other>Refresh Relationships>Apply many times. There are just some people it won't change to grandparents. I did steps 1 & 2 because I was desperate and trying to think of anything that might hang up the recalculation. I ran the Maintenance>Validate File Integrity and Maintenance>Optimize. Validate File Integrity fixed one potential problem, so I re-ran Preferences>Other>Refresh>Apply, but that didn't help. I even ran Maintenance>Reindex. I'm just trying to run everything. As far as I can see, everybody is Primary unless there's some other place to look for Primaryness (is that a word?). All the people are bolded. The people in question are showed in bold as children. There aren't any with a second set of parents. Is there another way to mark a parent or child as a primary that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for the offer to look at the project, but I have to warn you, I have over 16,000 people in it. I guess I'll wait a while longer to see if someone comes up with a fix before I take you up on it?

In reply to Mike:

As far as I can see everybody is marked as Primary, unless there's some other place or way to mark them as primary besides having them bolded in the Details window. There aren't any with a second set of parents.

I think this is the problem: I put family A in with parents and children. The parents are direct line, and let's say for this example 2 of their 6 children are also direct line. Then later I'll be working on another direct line (for this example Line B) and it happens that Line B feeds back into Line A changing a 3rd child in family A into a direct line/grandparent. When I re-run Preferences>Other>Refresh Relationships>Apply sometimes the Auto Relation Tag gets changed to reflect the grandparent status of that 3rd child, and sometimes it doesn't. I tried Refreshing after I ran the Optimize, etc. It didn't change the trouble-makers.

If anybody thinks of anything else to try, let me know. I hope Support is working on this. Maybe I should contact them directly.

Thanks everybody,

Kim

Edited by GeneQueen

Thanks for the offer to look at the project, but I have to warn you, I have over 16,000 people in it. I guess I'll wait a while longer to see if someone comes up with a fix before I take you up on it?

Have Jim or Tech Support look at your data. There is probably one relationship that isn't set correctly and messing everything up. Make a list of some of the relationships that are not showing correctly so that Jim or support have a starting point. A fresh set of eyes is a good thing.

Barbara