Viper2004

Splitting a Familytree

Hello everyone!

I am trying to export only branch of my family to a website using second site 2.

In this case it is my great-grandmothers line.

- I do want everyone of her siblings, cousins, direct ancestors etc. included but

- i do not want to have her husbands family and

- i do not want any of their descendands included.

So - using the image of a tree - i just want to use one branch.

It would be OK to put them in a new database. It would be even better to continue using my database and markt this branch with a flag.

Since i got over 5000 people in my database i can't flag them by hand.

I am shure this has been done hundereds of times but i havent found it here on the forum, nor in the manual.

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

I like to approach these kinds of tasks by first doing a search in PROJECT EXPLORER for bare bones ... like starting with your grandmother and getting all her ancestors. I would put them into a FOCUS GROUP (left click to add to focus window). Then open Focus Group Window. From there you can add who you want to add ... Desc and chose number of generations, their spouses if you want.

You can review and add delete individuals as you want. Then do an Export to Gedcom and select Current Focus Group. ... Wa La .. you will have the subset of your 5,000 you want.

Course, selecting her eldest ancestor and then in Focus Group add the number of generations of descendants may work ... but the problem is that you need to do it for all the surnames.

Bonita

Hello everyone!

I am trying to export only branch of my family to a website using second site 2.

- I do want everyone of her siblings, cousins, direct ancestors etc. included but

It would be OK to put them in a new database. It would be even better to continue using my database and markt this branch with a flag.

Since i got over 5000 people in my database i can't flag them by hand.

I am shure this has been done hundereds of times but i havent found it here on the forum, nor in the manual.

Thanks in advance,

Phil.

Edited by ladybonita

Dear ladybonita,

thank you so much for this excellent walkthrough!

It worked just perfect.

In case others have the same question that i had,

i'll just add the info how i continued from the focus group in order to output the group via Second Site 2:

1. Create a Flag (FILE -> Flagmanager) and give a name that suits your purpose best

2. Go to REPORT -> List of... ->People

3. choose "focus group" as subject(s) of the report

4. Klick OPTIONS -> Secondary Output ->Change Flag (to Y)

5. Klick OK and the Create Report

6. When asked, tell the Computer to change the flag for all people in the focus group

Now in Second Site you can exclude everyone from export who is NOT in the list.

Thank you again!

Regards, Phil

Phil,

Do not move them to a separate Project or Data Set, and certainly do not export them to GEDCOM - that will make a total mess of the data you want in Second Site.

Instead create a custom flag and set that for the people you want to include in your site. Then use that in Second Site to control who is included in the site.

The easiest way to set the flag for the selected group is with the Secondary Output of the List of People report. Probably the easiest way to define who is included in the List of People report is to use the Focus Group. If you need help with either of these steps please ask.