RayWigzell

Restore after New Computer lost Layouts and custon Tags

Hi

After changing computers (Vista to Win 7 64bit) I downloaded TMG v7 Gold UK ed. and restored from a backup that I thought had ticked every box to save everything.

But I have lost all custom Tags and sentences and custom Layouts.

Are these files hiding or do they need to be saved separately? I still have the old laptop with TMG installed so can go back and retreive any files if someone can say where to find them.

Thanks for any help

Ray Wigzell

Ray,

Custom Tags and Sentences are part of your Project. If you restore the Project they will be there. If they are not, I'd think you have restored the wrong Project.

Sentences in custom Languages will be available, but you will not be able to create them in Tag Types where they do not already exist, nor set reports to use them, unless you also restore the custom Language. Languages are program-wide, not specific to Projects.

Layouts are stored in their own files, and are among the "Program items" you can save in a backup.

Also you might check in File > Preferences > Program Options: Data Entry to be sure you are not in Beginner mode. Some things only show when in Advanced mode.

Ray,

Custom Tags and Sentences are part of your Project. If you restore the Project they will be there. If they are not, I'd think you have restored the wrong Project.

Sentences in custom Languages will be available, but you will not be able to create them in Tag Types where they do not already exist, nor set reports to use them, unless you also restore the custom Language. Languages are program-wide, not specific to Projects.

Layouts are stored in their own files, and are among the "Program items" you can save in a backup.

Thanks Terry

I have done a complete new backup and restore and the layouts are are now OK., so it was no doubt my error.

But the custom sentences are still missing. When you say 'custom languages' would that be the changes applied to create the UK specific Tag sentences, I see the Tags are present but not the sentences. If so how do I restore them?

Been checking as many functions as possible and I notice that 'Check for an Update' option is not working, it returns the error 'No application in c:\program files (x86) TMG v7 is associated with the update engine'

Ray

As Terry said, custom sentences are part of your project data.

If you made your custom sentences in English (U.K.), this is a viewing issue and not a data issue.

Do you have your program language set to English (U.K.)?

File / Language / English (U.K.)

Is the tag type language selection in the Master Tag Type list or Tab Entry Sentence screen showing English (U.K.)?

The solution to the 'Associated Application Not Found' issue is here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=38140

As Terry said, custom sentences are part of your project data.

If you made your custom sentences in English (U.K.), this is a viewing issue and not a data issue.

Do you have your program language set to English (U.K.)?

Is the tag type language selection in the Master Tag Type list or Tab Entry Sentence screen showing English (U.K.)?

Program language and the Tag Entry Sentence screen both showing 'English' [but not English (UK)] There is no option available

Program language and the Tag Entry Sentence screen both showing 'English' [but not English (UK)] There is no option available

You are running TMG v7.04?

If so. that means that you are using a very old version of the language files. There is no point to backing up the language files since you should _never_ overwrite the program-installed language files with restore.

With TMG closed, delete the shared program data folder. Delete the folder and not just the contents. The program will recreate the folder the next time that it is run.

The folder location...

Windows 7 and Windows Vista

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

If the folder is hidden...

By default, Windows hides the Shared Program Data Folder and the User Program Data Folder, so you must select 'Show hidden files and folders' on the Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab in order to browse the folders using Windows Explorer. Windows Help should walk you through enabling this option if you click on the Windows Desktop, press the key to open Windows help and search for 'show hidden files'.

The information about the shared program data folder comes from the 'Data File Storage' help topic.

You are running TMG v7.04?

If so. that means that you are using a very old version of the language files. There is no point to backing up the language files since you should _never_ overwrite the program-installed language files with restore.

With TMG closed, delete the shared program data folder. Delete the folder and not just the contents. The program will recreate the folder the next time that it is run.

The folder location...

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

If the folder is hidden...

By default, Windows hides the Shared Program Data Folder and the User Program Data Folder, so you must select 'Show hidden files and folders' on the Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab in order to browse the folders using Windows Explorer. Windows Help should walk you through enabling this option if you click on the Windows Desktop, press the <F1> key to open Windows help and search for 'show hidden files'.

The information about the shared program data folder comes from the 'Data File Storage' help topic.

Deleted the folder as above. Is the idea to now restore again? With or without the Language file?

Do not restore again. Simply run the program.

Run program, opened in Demo project, then found my project which I opened. It still has default sentence structures as before.

If I open a tag and view sentence there is an option to select Englishuk in place of English which then displays the custom sentence, but it reverts to English after closing the window. I cannot see any such option to change the language on the edit pages of the Master Tag list or on the File/Language menu.

Again, set the program language to Englisk (U.K.).

Sorry but there is no (English UK) option available on the File / Language menu

Since you saw the English (U.K.) option on the Tag Entry and Tag Type Definition screens, the current language pack has been copied to the Shared Program data folder. The English (U.K.) choice should show under the language menu.

Try this. Look in the user program data folder. With the program closed, delete the update.ini file. Afterwards start the program and check the language menu again.

User program data folder location...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

Since you saw the English (U.K.) option on the Tag Entry and Tag Type Definition screens, the current language pack has been copied to the Shared Program data folder. The English (U.K.) choice should show under the language menu.

Try this. Look in the user program data folder. With the program closed, delete the update.ini file. Afterwards start the program and check the language menu again.

File deleted and program re-started but still the same, there is no (English UK) option available on the File / Language menu, just 'English'

File deleted and program re-started but still the same, there is no (English UK) option available on the File / Language menu, just 'English'

Looking again at the Tag Type Definition edit screen, it is apparent that the 'English' option which is the default, is slightly deformed as if made up of dots instead of solid lines. If the 'English UK' option is selected you cannot reselect the 'English' option which becomes greyed out. But closing and re-opening the window causes the language option to revert to 'English'

Also when the English UK ' is clicked the custom sentence structure is visible as mentioned before, but the sentence preview does not display the new sentence

Hope this makes sense, and helps.

Ray

OK.

Let's do a clean install.

Copy your custom layout files (.lo) from the user program data folder so that you can copy them back later.

Delete the shared program data folder.

Delete the user program data folder.

The paths are in previous replies.

Do not delete the user data folder (with your project). Leave the user data folder as is.

Uninstall the program.

Delete the remnant program folder if any.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7"

Reinstall with this installer.

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7uksetup.exe

Run the program and unlock. Open the Sample project.

Check the language menu.

File / Language

If that's OK... Exit.

Copy your layout files back to the user program data folder.

Do not do any sort of restore since you should already have your project.

Open File / Preferences and configure as you wish. I would enable the Welcome screen and the Advanced data entry mode.

OK.

Copy your custom layout files (.lo) from the user program data folder so that you can copy them back later.

Clean Install completed and almost back to normal.

The language settings and custom sentence structures are there, but not seeing sentence previews.

OK.

Finally made it!

All working again, just need to do some fine tuning.

Many many Thanks to Jim and others for your help

Regards

Ray