BJHeard

computer crash during TMG7 download

While downloading TMGv7 to a new laptop PC it crashed and we got the 'blue screen of death'. It crashed due to another program's conflict, not TMG. We can see a number of TMGv7 files in Program Files but it won't open. We're thinking the download was only partial so we went to the windows 'remove programs' function but TMGv7 is not there.

Can I resume the download and will it overlay what's already there? If not, how can I remove the partially installed pieces of the program?

Thanks.

Barbara Heard

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Barbara.

Not sure whether you mean download or install? There is only one file to download. You then execute that one file to install it. If you were truly downloading, you can simply download that one file again. Good luck.

My computer expert (aka Husband) says I misspoke earlier. The process was in the middle of installing when it crashed.

Okay, you can simply do a complete new install, using the same installation file you downloaded.

It is probably not necessary, but just to be sure you start with a clean slate, you could delete the three folders that TMG creates upon install. Be sure to delete the folders themselves as well as the contents of the folders. Depending upon how far the install went, and whether you actually succeeded in installing the program but had the error when you ran it after the install, you may or may not have some of these folders.

1. Delete the shared program data folder. Delete the folder and not just the contents.

The default folder location...

Windows 7 and Windows Vista

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

Windows XP and Windows 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

2. Delete the user program data folder. Delete the folder and not just the contents.

The default folder location...

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

3. If (and only if) you have never used TMG before, and have no existing TMG projects, you can delete the user data files folder. Delete the folder and not just the contents.

The default folder locations...

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Now just run the install program again and it should reinstall everything. Let us know if you have problems and one of us users will try to help.

Hi Michael,

I contacted Dorothy Turner at WG and she had me delete the TMGv7 folders that had been created, then try again. I did both and it worked! :-)

Thanks for your time answering my plea for help. I appreciate it.

Barbara Heard