Sign in to follow this  
RWells

Install TMG 7

I am trying to install TMG 7 on my iMac.

I have VMFusion and Windows 7 32 bit installed and running.

I tried to install TMG using the defaults but it did not work. I got lots of error messages.

Is there some instructions somewhere on how to do this?

I note the pinned one but this is for paralles.

Thanks

Roger

The pinned topic has much information that will help you. You can also search the many topics on the subject in this forum.

Although my article is specific to Parallels, I think VMWare Fusion is very similar in operation, I believe you could follow the same setup recommendations and have a functional installation of TMG; project files need to be located on the WINDOWS side. If you want/need to adjust settings look for similar options in Fusion.

OK I have done the following:

Setup a new Administrator Account even though I was already an Administrator. Is there a way to make my account a full administrator account?

Created and placed the new file in the TMG program folder. In fact I had 2 items. One for Administrator and one for me. I am the normal administrator user. I found out that in order to put something into the program folder I needed the special Administrator user? At least that is what I hoped for.

Now when I signed on using the Administrator Account and started TMG, TMG created the new folders etc. But when I sign on as me it will not allow me to use these folders. I am sure I have the username for both accounts in the file.

[username]

UserData=C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Do I need to reinstall TMG? Or how do I use the new file I placed into the program folder if I am signed on as me?

I am running Windows 7 and VM Fusion. Will John Cardinal's suggestion work for this? I can not find the right area in Fusion to make this type of change.

Thanks

Roger

Roger

I have no idea why you'd need two administrator accounts :unsure: ... you only need to run Notepad as the administrator to create and/or edit the data_paths.txt file, this is described in my article...

If you are using Vista or Win 7 you will need to run Notepad as administrator. Locate Notepad in the Windows start menu, right click and choose Run as Administrator, enter the administrator password, create the file appropriate to your operating system and save the file in C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7\ name the file data_paths.txt the case of the file name isn’t important, but it must be named data_paths.txt

Assign administrator permissions to your user account -

Win 7 - Control Panel > User Accounts > Change your account type

1 data_paths.txt file multiple users

[username]

UserData=C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

[username2]

UserData=C:\Users\username2\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

[username3]

UserData=C:\Users\username3\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Example of my actual Windows 7 data_paths.txt file

[glenna]

UserData=C:\Users\glenna\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

[admin]

UserData=C:\Users\admin\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

GlennA is the Windows Users account for normal day to day use.

Admin is the Administrator account used to install software and maintain the Windows 7 virtual machine.

If you don’t plan to run TMG in an Admin account it doesn’t need to be setup in the data_paths.txt file.

If you want to follow John Cardinal's suggestion you need to look for settings in the Fusion Virtual Machine that controls sharing between the two operating systems.

In Parallels 6 - Virtual Machine > Configure > Options > Sharing > Configure

If you have more than one user each will have their OWN documents folder and their OWN projects folder <_< each is exclusive to the user.

- although I haven't tried this I suppose you could create a project folder in the \Users\Public\Documents folder and that would be accessible to ALL users regardless of their permissions.

- note when navigating the Windows GUI you will see Users - Public - Public Documents ~ Public Documents is the Junction Point for C:\Users\Public\Documents (see my Junction Points article immediately following the Parallels article)

Edited by ggilbert1