I just merged two projects and then merged two data sets. Then deleted the data set that was not desired. I ran maintenance on the new project and then attempted to back up.

I got a message: Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process.

I checked for any zip files in the project and found none. Both merged projects previously backup worked OK.

Betty Lou

Hi Betty Lou,

What device are you using to store your backup on? Is it an external device? I have seen this error if you try to backup directly to an external device, such as a CD or thumb drive. If so, try backing up to directly to your C: drive first, then copy the ".sqz" backup file to your external device.

P.S. Nice New Mexico flag for your icon!

Hi Betty Lou,

What device are you using to store your backup on? Is it an external device? I have seen this error if you try to backup directly to an external device, such as a CD or thumb drive. If so, try backing up to directly to your C: drive first, then copy the ".sqz" backup file to your external device.

P.S. Nice New Mexico flag for your icon!

Michael,

I am backing up to my backup file in TMG 7.

Any other theories?

Betty Lou

Maybe I was not clear, Betty Lou. On what hardware device is the destination of that backup file? And if it is not an external device, what is the complete folder path for that backup? Are you sure the folder is one for which you have write permissions as a user, and not a protected system folder? (I know I am stumbling, but it is hard when I can't look over your shoulder and see what is on the screen :( )

I'm suddenly having the same issue. I back up to an internal drive. It all worked a few days agao

Maybe I was not clear, Betty Lou. On what hardware device is the destination of that backup file? And if it is not an external device, what is the complete folder path for that backup? Are you sure the folder is one for which you have write permissions as a user, and not a protected system folder? (I know I am stumbling, but it is hard when I can't look over your shoulder and see what is on the screen :( )

:rolleyes: It works. I went to Preferences and discovered it was backing up to my other computer. How that happened I do not know but corrected the destination of the backup file and it works fine. Thanks for the help.

Betty Lou

I've got the same error message and I rechecked my backup path and it's correct. It seems to backup fine sometimes like it was OK yesterday.

Hi Neil,

I asked Betty Lou questions in two posts above. Could you answer those same questions so I might have an idea of what your issues might be?

Hi Neil,

I asked Betty Lou questions in two posts above. Could you answer those same questions so I might have an idea of what your issues might be?

The backups are on the same hard drive and the path is correct. It is under C:\Users\Neil\My Documents\the master genealogist v7\Backups.

Since I posted my reply, I cold re-booted my computer and it backed up OK. It seems to work most of the time but not sure why it fails when it does. Maybe it's my computer.

The only other thing I have heard to cause intermittent issues is some other software, like a virus protection package, or some background backup package. You might check for those.

I haven't backed up for a while and tried today so I could take the backup and restore to a new laptop. Got this same error -- and I have been backing up to the C: drive for several years. --- C:\Users\Pam\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Backups

I started to panic. I found my last b/u was done 5/20 so I took that and used it on the new machine. After loading it, I thought I better back that up as well, and got the same thing on the new Win 7 machine.

I'm using TMG 7.04

Can anyone enlighten me? I will slit my wrists if these are no good.

--Pam

First thing, Pam, if you were able to load it, then that older backup is obviously good. (Don't slit your wrists just yet, please)

If you are being unable to backup, there must be something else going on.

What are your backup options? are you including exhibits? have you recently added some big exhibits?

Maybe some other user has some ideas?

I have been having this problem intermittently. Finally dawned on my that it started occurring after the last update to WinZIP. I uninstalled WinZIP, and so far, the back up works every time.

I have been having this problem intermittently. Finally dawned on my that it started occurring after the last update to WinZIP. I uninstalled WinZIP, and so far, the back up works every time.

Well, I don't have WinZIP. Funny, years ago I used it all the time on computers before this and the last one. It's a good utility but I haven't installed it or used it for the past decade.

Thanks for your reply.

Opps, happened again. Darn, thought I had it figured out!

I got a message: Input file read failure - This error occurs when a file read operation is performed on a ZIP file that is locked or restricted by another process.

Betty Lou

I frequently, of late, get the same error message with the same project I have been working on for years and have backed up hundreds of times. I an running the Gold Version 7.04.0000. I back up on an external hard drive which is only at about 10% capacity. Then when I try to exit, it freezes and I have to go to the Windows Task Manager to close TMG. I hae presented the problem to tech support but haven't received anything that is helpful so far.

Am a bit concerned that I may lose a lot of input work without regular backups.

John Heard

Betty Lou

Hi,

just an idea: Are you short of space on your local disk? Maybe TMG uses temporary disk space in the TMP or TEMP folder (not the destination disk).

Has anyone updated Norton 360 prior this problem. The only change I can identify prior to incurring the backup problem was an update to Norton 360.

John Heard