efcharvet

TMG v.8 is here! At Charleston NGS

Since WhollyGenes has a policy to not promise what will be in a future version, I feel sure it was not official. It was probably also not feasible. I am guessing that the complete rewrite of the report generator for 64-bit was such a major undertaking for V8 that also trying to rewrite the entire database engine to handle Unicode would have been too much at one time.

It isn't so much the time required to rewrite the database engine, I would think that if the back end is Foxpro then it's quite feasible that Visual Foxpro is being used for the UI, if this is the case then it really would entail an entire rewrite of the entire application to move away from the Foxpro back end.

... it's quite feasible that Visual Foxpro is being used for the UI
Since I am just a user, like yourself, I don't know if that is the case, but I also suspect that it is. And yes, that would be a big rewrite.

The inclusion of unicode support is really the only additional feature I care about at this point. While I'm creating a wish list, I guess it would also be nice if things were moved to an OS independent platform (Linux and MacOS compatibility would be nice) but I don't see any of that happening soon / ever...

As a side note; I use Linux (Fedora) quite a bit as well and TMG runs quite well (with a few hiccups) under Wine. This, of course, is not "OS independent" but rather the introduction of the necessary OS features/libraries to make a native Windows program run on Linux. In any event, if you use Linux you can, with some effort, make it work -- still without unicode support though! <_<

Anyone know if new version allows back up to external USB or eSata drives or if it allows you to work off of such a drive?

jrw

I've never had any issue backing up to or restoring from any type of media or external drive.

Some changes have been made that may avoid the problems that some people have encountered.

A TMG installation includes files copied to the system folders and registry entries so cannot be put on an external drive and be completely independent of the computer.

I have been in the category of users who get a warning about a compressed file that aborts that back up and have been for 3 years. Contacted tech support once but my files were too big to email so I gave up. I just copy the whole projects directory from time to time as my back up. Would be nice to be able to use TMG backup again

jrw

Although as I reread your post I would LOVE it if they made it so TMG ran on an external drive. Would also love it if the graphics progam didnt choke on the size of my 600 dpi tifs so that I would finally be able to natively print a wall chart with pictures for my family without resorting to the suggested fix of saving my real scans in a separate directory and then using an external utility to convert them all to 300 dpi jpegs (bleh). Someone should try taking a jpg of a small photo sometime and blowing it up to full page size...

jrw

While I'm creating a wish list, I guess it would also be nice if things were moved to an OS independent platform (Linux and MacOS compatibility would be nice) but I don't see any of that happening soon / ever...

I develop software primarily for Windows but have been venturing into iOS development which requires me to use a Mac. Not wanting to lug around two computers I've been using a Macbook Pro as my primary machine for a little over a month with Parallels running so I have access to my Windows development tools. TMG runs flawlessly on Parallels but I understand it doesn't really solve the Linux issues.

Slightly off-topic here but I've been noticing that most of the software I've been running on Windows that I've found OSX ports of, it seems that the application is less functional than the Windows counterpart. Functionality has been removed to maintain that 'pretty' look that a lot of Mac applications have. I'm not saying the Wholly Genes would do that but TMG is great specifically BECAUSE it has so much additional functionality that is lacking in many other genealogy packages.

My $0.02