Rosanna

V7 Still using 32 bit?

Version 7. I am about to change to Windows 7 and many computers have 64bit Win 7 programme installed. Is version 7 still using 32 bit? If not how do I get an upgrade? I dont want to go to V8 as too new.

Thank you

Rsanna

Version 7. I am about to change to Windows 7 and many computers have 64bit Win 7 programme installed. Is version 7 still using 32 bit? If not how do I get an upgrade? I dont want to go to V8 as too new.

Thank you

Rsanna

My laptop is Windows 7 64-bit but I have lots of programs, includeed TMG 7, running in 32-bit mode on it. As a matter of fact, I've also run TMG8 beta on it.

Edited by DuaneSmith

Thanks Duane

Interesting because I didn't think this was possible without some sort of download. I will keep this open to see if anyone has had problems.

Cheers

Rosanna,

Some years ago most Windows applications were written in 16-bit code and worked with a 16-bit version of Windows. Windows was then upgraded to 32-bit operation, and then would run either 16-bit or 32-bit applications. Applications were gradually migrated to 32-bit code. TMG 7 is written in 32-bit code, except for the routines that create reports to word processors. This part is still written in 16-bit code.

The latest version of Windows is written in 64-bit code. It will run 64-bit and 32-bit applications, but not those written in 16-bit code. As a result, the main part of TMG 7 runs perfectly on these 64-bit versions of Windows, but you cannot create reports as word processor files. There are a couple of work-arounds, including printing the report directly, creating the reports in PDF, Rich Text File and HTML format, or using an older computer running a 32-bit version of Windows to create your reports.

TMG 8 is written entirely in 32-bit code and all parts of it run on 64-bit Windows.

As a side note, 32-bit code is expected to be the norm for applications for some time. Very few applications are currently available in 64-bit code. In fact, MicroSoft offers a 64-bit version of its Office suite, but recommends that only a few users with very specific requirements use that version.

Under 64-bit Vista running 7.04 UK Gold the report problems are still there after over 2 years

trying to output as Word or PDF causes TMG to lock and I have to restart the computer

trying to output as rtf produces a spawn error but at least I don't have to restart