MNCamper

journal report and "...known children..." sentence

I am trying to create a journal descendant report.

I want to suppress mention of the first husband of one of the descendants.

Putting a hyphen at the start of the sentence for the marriage and divorce tags eliminates mention of these two events.

The problem is that the sentence "There were no known children of XX and XY." is still generated.

How do I get the journal report to suppress the above sentence?

Rick

There are two ways.

You can turn off all the "known children" statements on the Miscellaneous tab of options. You have to switch to Custom Style on the General tab first to have access to this option.

You can turn it off for the one couple by adding a NarrativeChildren tag with a Sentence of [:NONE:] - be sure to add both of them as Principals.

Is there a similar method for eliminating the "and an unknown spouse" in the case of a child which was the product of rape? (or any other reason where the parent is unknown and likely will always remain that way)

Robin

Edited by robinkaspar

Robin,

Where, exactly, are you seeing this phrase? In the parent's narrative, in the child's narrative, as part of the child's birth sentence, ???

It's in the Journal report.

"The two known children of XX and an unknown spouse are as follows:"

In this case I have a woman who has never married and had children by two different one-night-stands whom she has declined to name (if she even knows their names) and that's fine.

I just take issue with being forced into this wording. I haven't been using v7 very long and I'm hoping this has finally been addressed.

Or maybe it's user ignorance and I just don't have her and the children input correctly.

I do remember asking about this during v6 and was told there wasn't anything I could do about it at that time.

Robin

There's nothing wrong with how you input the data, and the statement is accurate. But, you don't what it to appear, so use the same NarrativeChildren tag I mentioned above, but in this case you only enter the mother as the only Principal.

You need to construct a Sentence in that tag that says what you want. See my article on the NarrativeChildren Tag for some suggestions on how to make it do what you want.

The NarrativeChildren tag is a special-purpose tag that is designed to manage the output of the "Children of..." statement in Journal reports. You can use it for a wide variety of desired outcomes.

Okay, Robin, I understand now.

First, you must be specifying the "Custom" format on the Report Options - General tab. Second you must have selected the Miscellaneous options of: Children are "known children".

The answer to this is the same as the answer Terry gave above. For that one woman you can add a NarrativeChildren tag with any Sentence text you would like to have for that woman, including [:NONE:]. Perhaps you might set the sentence to be:

[:TAB:]Her acknowledged children were:[:NP:]

I suggest you review Terry's web page about this special new tag type here.

You are correct that in V6 there was nothing you could do. This new tag type NarrativeChildren was a feature added in V7 as a result of users like yourself requesting the ability to have control over this sentence.

Hope this gives you ideas,

There are two ways.

You can turn off all the "known children" statements on the Miscellaneous tab of options. You have to switch to Custom Style on the General tab first to have access to this option.

You can turn it off for the one couple by adding a NarrativeChildren tag with a Sentence of [:NONE:] - be sure to add both of them as Principals.

Thank you Terry. Option two is exactly what I was looking for.

Your wisdom and willingness to help are very much appreciated...

Rick