michelec

Should I make some Custom Tags?

Usually, I only record BMD and such, but this family had some interesting things happen to them that were recorded in their local newspaper, i.e. she was thrown from a wagon and lived (she was in her 80s!), and around the same time period their house burned down, nothing could be saved, and the community took up a collection for them.

These seem like things that, while maybe not of genealogical value, are worth sharing somehow in the database.

Suggestions?

Michele

By all means record them. But you don't need to create custom tag types. The standard Notes and Anecdote Tags are designed for these kinds of miscellaneous notes.

By all means record them. But you don't need to create custom tag types. The standard Notes and Anecdote Tags are designed for these kinds of miscellaneous notes.

Hi Terry,

I've been using TMG for a long time, but never noticed those Tags before! Thanks for pointing them out.

Michele

One advantage to using a custom tag is seeing it in the Details view and on FGS or individual narratives. So if this is an event I am going to see often, then I will create the custom tag and then custom roles (which also allows custom sentences). But for things I find in the newspaper, I just use a newspaper tag. But I am starting to think my family could use a custom tornado tag. :( So it depends. How often do you think you'd record that so that you'd use the custom tag, and how likely are you going to want a custom role with a customized sentence?