Bill R

Creating a Custom Toolbar with Tasks and Exhibits buttons

I am attempting to create a custom toolbar with large buttons with text, for a visually impaired user, to replace the standard toolbar, replacing some buttons that we don't use with some new buttons that we would like to use. Most of the standard buttons that I want to retain are straightforward. But how should I add buttons such as the Task button? This button has different icons (lgt_rlog.bmp and lgt_rlog2.bmp) according to whether a task is associated with the current person. Whichever of these buttons I choose in the Custom Toolbar Manager, when I show the toolbar I seem to finish up getting rlog.bmp - a small icon without text - most if not all of the time. I have the same problem with the Exhibits button. Any ideas?

You can create your own button, or you can use the ones supplied with TMG. The buttons are located in the BUTTONS folder. For ones with text you need one that has LGT in the name of the button. If you decide to provide them yourself, you can find lots of icons online for free. Just create a .bmp or .jpg file that is 46 x 46. Then when you create the custom toolbar, you can tell it to use TEXT or your button and you just point it to where the button is located at. It's best to store your custom buttons in the same BUTTON folder that TMG uses.

You can create your own button, or you can use the ones supplied with TMG. The buttons are located in the BUTTONS folder. For ones with text you need one that has LGT in the name of the button.

I think I said in my post, that those are the ones I tried to use - lgt_rlog.bmp and lgt.rlog2.bmp, using the icon selection panel that pops up when I press the "Button example" button in the Custom Toolbar Manager panel. Doing this has worked fine for me for other buttons such as "Open", "Go To", "Search", "Last", etc. The "Tasks" button is slightly different however, in that it changes colour (the two different .bmp files) according to whether there are any tasks for the currently selected person. And specifying either of these .bmp files seems to result in a third .bmp file (rlog.bmp - small. with no text) actually being used for the toolbar button if there are no associated tasks. The same applies to the Exhibits button.

I'm getting the impression that the action and appearance of these two buttons on the Standard Toolbar just can't be reproduced consistently in a custom toolbar. Has anybody succeeded in doing this?