Liliana

No. of marriages?

Hi,

Is there a way to automaticly display how many Spouses a person has had?

BR

Liliana

Look at the Family View or Tree View.

Also note that the spouse selected on those tabs is treated as the 'primary' spouse by the program.

TreeView.png FamilyView.png

Liliana -

Note the Next button at the lower left of the Tree and Family views. This will take you to each spouse in turn.

The Marriage tags for each spouse will appear in the Person View, but there is no count displayed of the number of marriages.

And - welcome to the forum! If you are new to the format of this forum, a tip for replying to messages: type your reply below the quoted message - a line or two below the line ending with . When you click the 'Add Reply' button, your message will be correctly formatted for you.

Virginia

Thank you Jim and Virginia. I missed that since I at the moment only use the Person view.

I was thinking that I would like to see this in the "Other info" box or as a flagg.

Hi Liliana,

In addition to the number of spouses showing on the Tree and Family views, in the Person view you could temporarily filter for only Marriage tags. Click on a Marriage tag, then Right-click to show the menu. Select "Filter for tags of this type" and TMG will hide all tags except Marriage tags. That should show the spouses quickly. Notice that the column heading changes to "Filtered" to remind you that many tags are being excluded. Don't forget to Right-click in the Details area again to turn off the filter.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I was thinking that I would like to see this in the "Other info" box or as a flagg.

MarriageFlag.png

Liliana -

You could create a flag for the number of Marriages, with values of say ?,1,2,3. Then run a List of People Report filtered for each number. For example, Filter for: # of Marriage Group Tags is 2. On the Report Definition Screen > Options > Secondary Output, change the Marriages Flag to 2 for those people. Run it for each number, assigning the flag appropriately.

A flaw is that the List of People filter uses the Marriage Group tag - with includes several other tags like marr bann, marr lic. So you would want to check the results.

Perhaps another user will have a suggestion for setting a flag using the Primary Marriage Tag instead of the Marriage Group -

Virginia

Not quite, Virginia. There are two different ways to identify the number of a specific tag type in a LOP filter.

One, as Virginia suggested, is:

# of Marriage Group Tags // = Equals // [?] // END

As Virginia noted, this may get some tag types you don't want.

The other is:

Marriage... // # of Tags // = Equals // [?] // END

That will identify the people with a specific number of only the Marriage tag. (I used the '[?]' construct as you would want to run this several times, each time with a different number, and with the Secondary Output setting the flag to the matching number.)

The main problem with this Flag approach is it is manual, i.e. if you add or delete a Marriage (or a person) you have to remember to set or reset the flag yourself, or periodically rerun the set of LOP reports.

=====================

I thought of an alternative to my "filter for this tag type" approach. Have you designed a custom screen layout that includes the Associates window? You could have that window open but filter that window (instead of the main Details window) for the Marriage tag type (right-click in that window) That would give you a separate window of just spouses. Then it would be similar to the separate Siblings and Children windows.

There are a great many tools in TMG, and it is just a matter of finding the one that works best for you to do what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas,

If it is a question of seeing at a glance the number of marriages - rather than having a permanent flag - the Color Tag Label feature in v8 might serve the purpose. See the example here from the v8 public beta where I've accented the marriage tag label a rose color.

(For anyone who has not seen the v8 Color-Tag-Label feature in action, check out the second Person-view screenshot - of the mother - noting that the Tag Labels '-Adopted' for both of them are automatically color-coded to show their adoptive relationship.)

Virginia

Michael, I really liked your idea about filtering the Associates window.

But it wasn't enough to right click a marriage in the Associates window and select "filter a tag of this type". Because then Frank Alexander, no. 1 in the sample database, was listed with both female and male principals that wasn't his spouse. When I unselected

"When the focus person is not a principal / Include principal(s)" only his wife was remaining.

It's easy to clear the filter but unfortunately I haven’t found a way to save it like you can do with the filters in Project Explorer window. Have I missed something?

I have also made a filter for the Project Explorer that I can use when wanted.

# of Spouses > is greater than 1

Virginia, the color-tag could also be interesting. What happens if the focus person was a witness, will this also be color-tagged?

Liliana

Liliana,

A totally different approach is to modify the Marriage Tag by adding Roles that generate the traditional 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th notation and apply them. The Roles serve both to include that output in narrative reports and can be set to display the information in the Tag Box in the Details view.

One method for doing that is described in my article on multiple marriages.

This would of course require going through all the marriages you identified with the filter you have constructed and modifying them.

It's easy to clear the [Associates window] filter but unfortunately I haven’t found a way to save it... Have I missed something?
Liliana, sorry, I know of no way to save these filters.
Virginia, the color-tag could also be interesting. What happens if the focus person was a witness, will this also be color-tagged?
What I have seen from the Beta and its description is that the Tag Type is color coded, e.g. set the Marriage Tag Type to special background and font colors. If you have Preferences // Program Options // Tag Box set to "Show witnessed events", then that witnessed event will show but have its tag type "Name" in the "Type" column of the Details window displaying those special colors. At least it appears those colors only affect that one column of the Type name for the event. If you have Preferences // Current Project Options // Colors set so that Witnessed events have a special color scheme, then it seems the Date column will still use those "witnessed" colors. Thus that Date column would still indicate it is a witnessed event. However, one will have to wait for V8 to know exactly what it will look like.

Glad to hear the Associates window idea is useful to you,

It's easy to clear the [Associates window] filter but unfortunately I haven’t found a way to save it... Have I missed something?
What I have seen from the Beta and its description is that the Tag Type is color coded, e.g. set the Marriage Tag Type to special background and font colors. If you have Preferences // Program Options // Tag Box set to "Show witnessed events", then that witnessed event will show but have its tag type "Name" in the "Type" column of the Details window displaying those special colors. At least it appears those colors only affect that one column of the Type name for the event. If you have Preferences // Current Project Options // Colors set so that Witnessed events have a special color scheme, then it seems the Date column will still use those "witnessed" colors. Thus that Date column would still indicate it is a witnessed event. However, one will have to wait for V8 to know exactly what it will look like.

Glad to hear the Associates window idea is useful to you,

In v8 if the individual is a witness to a marriage it appears with "Witness" in the type column shaded in the color assigned to the marriage tag, the date column shaded the witness color, and in the Name/Place column the (role name); Marriage: (names of the individuals); (location)

At least that how it appears in my test....

May be I don't get the point here but.... like Help says regarding the Associates Window:

Settings for the list are "remembered" so that you can configure the list as you prefer and it will retain those settings if you change the subject person or project and the next time that you run TMG.

...and that works for me in v7.04. :unsure:

Yes, Vera, if you don't change the settings they are remembered. But other "filters" (such as for the PE) have the ability to "save" them to a file with a name. That way you can change between a number of commonly used settings without having to clear/reset each setting. I think this is what Liliana wants to do with the Associates window: have a setting to filter for marriages, but then clear that to show other Associates, then go back to the marriages filter.

Sounds like one for the "Wish" list.

Yes, Vera, if you don't change the settings they are remembered. But other "filters" (such as for the PE) have the ability to "save" them to a file with a name. That way you can change between a number of commonly used settings without having to clear/reset each setting. I think this is what Liliana wants to do with the Associates window: have a setting to filter for marriages, but then clear that to show other Associates, then go back to the marriages filter.

Sounds like one for the "Wish" list.

OK, understood. Thanks.

However, since the overall aim of the Associates window is to **complement** TMG's windows and since compared to other windows (like the PE for instance) the filter abilities of the Associates window are quite limited (say only one or two clicks are needed to apply / re-apply the currently available filters), I personally don't see an immediate need to save such filters. Of course this is my limited point of view only. B)