Sign in to follow this  
michelec

Immigration Sentence for 2 sister-in-laws/1 child each

How would I write a sentence for two sister-in-laws found on a passenger list, each with their respective child?

Jeremiah, Anna Rosina, 23 (wife of Jacob)

Jeremiah, Margaret, 20 (wife of John)

Jeremiah, Sylvia, 4 (daughter of Jacob and Anna)

Jeremiah, Gertrude, 3 (daughter of of John and Margaret)

Would Anna and Margaret both be principals?

Can I get the sentence to show their relationship to each other as well as their relationships to their respective husbands?

And how would I get the sentence to show the parents of each child?

Would a separate sentence structure be needed for Principals and Witnesses?

I"m not exactly sure how this works.

Michele

Hi Michele,

It all depends on how you want your narratives to read.

My preference is to treat these passenger lists as "sources" only. I would probably have a tag that says they immigrated (or moved, or visited) on a specific date via a specific ship, with the list as a source, but I don't choose to use a "passenger list" tag. I would enter a Marriage tag of Anna to Jacob, and cite the passenger list as a source. Likewise I would cite the list as a source on Sylvia's Mother/Daughter and Father/Daughter relationship tags. Etc. I might also use one of my custom "Related" tags to indicate that I presumed Jacob and John were brothers, and again cite the list on that tag.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Thanks, Michael.

I ended up using the Immigration Tag, citing the Passenger list as a source, and using the following sentence structure:

[P] <|and [PO]> immigrated <along with [WO]> <[D]> <to [L]> <on the [M1]> <from [M2]>

Which turned out like this:

Annie Roseine Thomas and Margaret Williams immigrated along with Sylvia Mary Jeremiah and Gertrude Jeremiah on 08 Dec 1904 to New York City, New York, New York on the S. S. Oceanic from Liverpool, England.

Michele

That should work well, Michele,

I have customized my Immigration tag roles and sentences to work best for family groups. Thus I would have needed to use two of my Immigration tags, one for each mother/child family, and simply mentioned the presence on the same ship of the other sister-in-law and child in the memo (or maybe just the citation detail) of each tag. But that is a matter of taste. If your primary output is web pages (e.g. with SecondSite) then having all four individuals in your tag may work better as it will provide a direct hyperlink to the other three from each person's output.

Glad it gave you ideas,