chornung

Revising memo entries for numerous Residence-In tags

I've done a pretty dumb thing, and would appreciate suggestions on how best to remedy the situation.

Each time I add a US Census tag, I also add a Residence-In tag, with HOH as Principal, and all family members as witnesses. I fill in City/County/State as stated on the Census, then add in the Memo something like [lived] "in the house they rented at 999 Main Street." This works out fine and the sentence reads exactly as I want.

Several months ago, I got the bright :wacko: idea of adding [lived] "with their three sons, Sam (9), George (7) and Fred (3)" before "in the house they rented..." Well, that works fine for the HOH's narrative, but the "three sons" bit doesn't work in the witnesses' narratives. I know, I know...should have checked EVERYTHING out before proceeding but here I am, faced with going back to delete the "three sons" phrase from 100-200 records. (Obviously, it's different in every one: three sons, widowed mother, etc, etc.).

I really don't want to change the memo sentence structure, as I like having the farm vs house plus street address there.

Suggestions on how best to proceed? At the very least, I was hoping to be able to generate a list of all IDs with a Residence-Lived In tag, but I'm not seeing how to do that. Any help gratefully appreciated!! ~Carol

Suggestions on how best to proceed? At the very least, I was hoping to be able to generate a list of all IDs with a Residence-Lived In tag, but I'm not seeing how to do that. Any help gratefully appreciated!! ~Carol

Carol,

you could i.e. filter the Project Explorer like this:

(on the tab "Filter" create a filter like)

Field: Residence-In.... (= the name of your tag)

Subfield: Memo

Operator: Is not empty

Connect: END

At the bottom of this window check "Both"

then "OK"

which will then bring up a list of all names (together with their IDs) for which such a tag, with an not empty memo field, is used.

Carol,

in case you would like a more specific filter for the Project Explorer it could also be like this:

(on the tab "Filter" create a filter like)

Field: Residence-In.... (= the name of your tag)

Subfield: Memo

Operator: contains

Value: LIVED (enter any word/phrase here which might be part of your text in the memo field)

Connect: END

At the bottom of this window check "Both"

then "OK"

Carol,

Vera has suggested a way for you can find the tags you want to change. I'd suggest you don't remove the offending phrase if you like the result, but modify the Sentence for the Principals to use two Memo segments, and put that phrase in the second segment. Something like this:

Memo:

in the house they rented at 999 Main Street||with their three sons, Sam (9), George (7) and Fred (3)

Principal Sentence:

[P] lived

That ways the "with three sons..." phrase will only appear in the Principal's output. You can leave the Witness Sentences as they are (you don't even have to change [M] to [M1] in the Witness Sentence if you don't want to because they both produce the same output).

Carol,

Vera has suggested a way for you can find the tags you want to change. I'd suggest you don't remove the offending phrase if you like the result, but modify the Sentence for the Principals to use two Memo segments, and put that phrase in the second segment. Something like this:

Memo:

in the house they rented at 999 Main Street||with their three sons, Sam (9), George (7) and Fred (3)

Principal Sentence:

[P] <and [PO]> lived <[M2]><[M1]><[L]>

That ways the "with three sons..." phrase will only appear in the Principal's output. You can leave the Witness Sentences as they are (you don't even have to change [M] to [M1] in the Witness Sentence if you don't want to because they both produce the same output).

:wub: Outstanding suggestion! I knew I came to the right place!!! Many thanks to all who replied. ~Carol