afinab

Backup Problems Continued

Since yesterday I have problems backing up my projects. I first thought it had to do with PathWiz, but it turns out that all my 4 projects have the same problem.

It seems that when backing up to an empty folder, the backup goes OK, but if another backup is already there I get a file write error (message: unable to srite file: this happens if backingup a protected zipfile or if the disk is full)

If I try to reopen the program after it closes I get File access denied and a reference to a sessionkeeper.dbf in C\Documents and settings\user\localsettings\temp\TMG(several numbers)

If I cancel and then reopen, it usually works ok, except that all accents have disappeared.

I uninstalled and reinstalled TMG, but nothing changed

Is it possible that this has to do with a Microsoft .NET update, that happened yesterday?

THanks for any ideas,

Afina

I just found out that not only the backups are messed up, but also the reporting ability. I just did a List of events, and the output options rearranged of their own accord. I put the same output columns in 3 times, and I got 3 different results (this was a tab-delimited txt list)

It seems that the program is seriously messed up. I have reinstalled, but that did not make a difference.

Please HELP!!

Afina

I just found out that not only the backups are messed up, but also the reporting ability. I just did a List of events, and the output options rearranged of their own accord. I put the same output columns in 3 times, and I got 3 different results (this was a tab-delimited txt list)

It seems that the program is seriously messed up. I have reinstalled, but that did not make a difference.

Please HELP!!

Afina

Hi Afina,

I have no prove. But usually, when something goes wrong in various different manners asa you describe, in the most cases the reasons are access problems, such as

- running out of temporary space (how much free space do you have on your disks?)

- hardware problems (probklems also with other applications than TMG)?

- Virus scanner that locks a folder/file (try to switch off the AntiVirus before you make an attempt to backup/create reports)

This is based on more than 3 decades experience in working with computers. But I also know, that there may be a number of other reasons, too.

Regards and good luck

Helmut

I was having the same issue. Dorothy at WhollyGenes suggested removing external exhibits from the backup, and this worked. However, I was having issues with other programs as well. Backed everything up, reformated the hard drive, and did a full reinstall of the OS and all software. Issues have all gone away. I liken PCs to ships. Every now and then you have to scrape the barnacles off.

Thanks Helmut

I have plenty of space, and as far as I can tell I have no problems with other applications. I did not change anything in my virus scanner, so why should it suddenly lock folders that weren't before?

Afina

I was having the same issue. Dorothy at WhollyGenes suggested removing external exhibits from the backup, and this worked. However, I was having issues with other programs as well. Backed everything up, reformated the hard drive, and did a full reinstall of the OS and all software. Issues have all gone away. I liken PCs to ships. Every now and then you have to scrape the barnacles off.

I don't back up external exhibits, so that cannot be the issue. Reformatting is not something I look forward to :-(

Afina

Afina -

If you think this might be related to a Windows update or some other event, check to see if you have a System Restore point just before the problems began.

Virginia

Tried system restore, but couldn't restore. So something must have changed drastically. :-(

Afina