Sign in to follow this  
hilltop

Using my TMG records on a tablet PC

Is there any apps for tablet PCs that are compatible with my TMG7 software? I'd love to be able to take a tablet along when doing research rather than lugging my laptop, and since genealogy would be a big motivation for my buying a tablet I'd like to find the genealogy software first to be sure I'm getting the right tablet.

I have been looking at Xoom and iPad and there are a few others that are Android based. Can anyone tell me whether any of the apps out there for these tablets will import the TMG7 records?

Thanks,

Len

Until last year I had a real Tablet PC that ran TMG fine and this was great for visiting relatives and scouring through church records. But, you are talking about an iPad which isn't a tablet PC. I have an iPhone and use GedView which seems pretty good for a reference tool. Apparently you can edit and upload changes but I haven't been brave enough to try it. The only drawback is that you have to export your database to GEDCOM and copy it over to your iPad.

If you can (know how to) store web page files on your tablet and use a browser to view those files, then I would greatly recommend creating a set of Second Site web pages from your TMG data. Like the other suggestions, it will be read-only, but with SecondSite you can view all of your TMG data and linkages. Because GEDCOM is such an old and limited structure, you will likely lose a great deal of your TMG information when you output into that format.

If you can (know how to) store web page files on your tablet and use a browser to view those files, then I would greatly recommend creating a set of Second Site web pages from your TMG data. Like the other suggestions, it will be read-only, but with SecondSite you can view all of your TMG data and linkages. ...

Works great on my new HP Touchpad :lol:

If you choose an iPad there are several apps available that will allow you to upload and view the files created by Second Site. The one that I've found most recommended, and that works well for me, is GoodReader.