Sign in to follow this  
Karen W

Master Source List Messed Up

I'm in full-blown panic here.

I found a bit of info in an ancestry.com database that I want to add to an existing person in my TMG project. When I looked up the source I've previously created for citing ancestry.com info (and used many many many times) in the Master Source list, it wasn't there. At first just puzzled, I looked up an individual I recalled having a tag using the now missing source. Reading the tag showed a source, all right, but it wasn't the right source, instead it was some other source that is not used very often in my project, yet the number of citations for that source in the Master Source List matches approximately how often I think the missing source has been used.

Looking through the Master Source List I spotted the absence of a few other sources.

What could have possibly happened and how do I fix it?

Tools / Master Source List

Click the [More>>] button.

All sources should show in the more view.

Select a source that was 'missing' in the less view and [Edit]. Make sure that the source has the 'active' radio button selected on the General tab.

Sometimes, sources spontaneously get marked 'inactive'. Although I've never had this happen, a number of users have commented about 'missing' sources and this has always been the explanation. All sources (active and inactive) show on the more view.

I wish this were the answer...

Let me describe the problem in more detail: A week or so ago I created a new project with a subset of the persons in my master project. So looking at "Melvin Willard" in the project spun off I see that I have Source # 1092 for his WWI draft registration record. This source #'s abbreviation is titled Ancestry Dot Com Database.

Now looking at "Melvin Willard" in the master project I see that the source for his WWI draft registration record is # 1092. But the abbreviation is titled AmericanAncestors dot Org database.

Now I am supposed to have a source for data I get from AmericanAncestors.org but...

I ran a List of Citations report and looked at what tags used source #1092 -- thousands. And indeed they are a merging of sources that came from AmericanAncestors.org and from ancestry.com

How on earth could this have happened?

Hi Karen,

Are you sure you did not actually do a "merge" of these two sources? (See the HELP file topic "Merge Sources".) Seems unlikely that you would not have realized you did this, but is the only way I can think of that this could have occurred. I have never heard of this happening to someone "automagically".

Yes, I'm sure. And recall from my first post that this hasn't happened only to one source, but I've noticed a problem with several. I haven't meticulously examined *all* my sources yet, and hope I don't have to.

Now I did go to bed last night leaving TMG open and my computer running... and of course not backed up