Rosanna

Win 7 on 64 bit or upgrqad to V8

I asked this question on V 7 forum but couldnt get back to see replies and I lost my email account for the link. Now I cant find it.

My question is similar to alprunty @ 11 Jun 2011 except that I am already running V7 . Due to a number of reasons I have delayed in getting a new computer and I have just found out that it is no longer possible to get the new computer brand I want (or any of 1st choices) that runs on Win 7 32 bit. I saw Phils reply to alprunty about upgrades but my question is "have any problems occurrred by running V7 on Win 7 64 bit". I recall there was a couple of features that didnt work but cant remember what they were.

If I have to upgrade to V8 now or later, so be it, but until the details are released I am going to be using 64 bit. If the features that dont work relate to charts then it is not a problem for me at the moment.

I may have an option of getting a dual system and keep this 7 version on XP, but doubt if I will get all the other features I want in a new purchase. It was possible a couple of months ago.

I hope this is the best place for this post.

Many thanks

With TMG7, report output to Word, RTF or WordPerfect is not supported under 64-bit operating systems. The new report manager in TMG8 will not have this limitation under 64-bit operating systems.

With TMG7, report output to Word, RTF or WordPerfect is not supported under 64-bit operating systems. The new report manager in TMG8 will not have this limitation under 64-bit operating systems.

Thank Jim, I really need this fuction to be available now. I see it is still being trialed <public beta program> but cant find anything about possible release. I gather by your reply to alprunty

you dont know either. Is this still correct? I guess we will see announcements.

Also I have a problem changing email address because my passwords dont seem to work. I sent an email re this problem but dont know if I will get a reply. Any specific email address to use?

Many thanks again for your support.

Rosanna,

If you need to output reports to word processor now and need to move to a 64-bit system, I see three options:

1. Keep a 32-system, perhaps a laptop, with TMG on it, and use that to run reports to word processor. That's not at all difficult if it has a network connection between it and your new system, provide that you do not want to include exhibits in those reports.

2. Output the reports to HTML, then open them in your word processor. It works, but not all functions are supported.

3. Get one of the higher grades of Windows on your new system, and install XP Mode on that system, and then install a copy of TMG under XP Mode. That is a 32-bit system, so output to word processor works. XP Mode is free, but you have to pay for the higher priced version of Windows than you might otherwise need. Running in this mode is not totally simple, but it does work.

You can also output to PDF. Not the same as a word processor, but at least you can get reports. If they don't need to be edited, then that's a good option. THat's what I am doing with V7 and since I do all my editing within TMG, it hasn't been that big an issue.

Rosanna,

If you need to output reports to word processor now and need to move to a 64-bit system, I see three options:

1. Keep a 32-system, perhaps a laptop, with TMG on it, and use that to run reports to word processor. That's not at all difficult if it has a network connection between it and your new system, provide that you do not want to include exhibits in those reports.

2. Output the reports to HTML, then open them in your word processor. It works, but not all functions are supported.

3. Get one of the higher grades of Windows on your new system, and install XP Mode on that system, and then install a copy of TMG under XP Mode. That is a 32-bit system, so output to word processor works. XP Mode is free, but you have to pay for the higher priced version of Windows than you might otherwise need. Running in this mode is not totally simple, but it does work.

Thanks Terry

Unable to get posts. I ran off when I saw an advertisemt for a special price on a dual system.

I found one out of stock Toshiba computer with a dual system and I chose 32bit. Not many around with 32 bit now. I upgraded to windows professional. So problem solved but an expensive option. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

You can also output to PDF. Not the same as a word processor, but at least you can get reports. If they don't need to be edited, then that's a good option. THat's what I am doing with V7 and since I do all my editing within TMG, it hasn't been that big an issue.

Thanks Teresa

No I need to edit. Managed to get a 32 bit windows with dual system which needs upgrade to windows professional. Problem solved but wont eat for months!! Others should be warned that 32 bit is definately on the way out. Hard to find a good computer with other features. Beware some dont have an additional graphics card needed for better photos.

Cheers