Sign in to follow this  
EmmArrBee

New Project with Old Places, Sources etc

I'm wondering if there is a way to create a New Project which has no People, but copies the Sources, Places etc from an existing project.

I'm thinking about a new project for strays with a fairly uncommon surname, but want to avoid re-entering the hundreds of places I've already entered (I love using F2) and also avoid re-entering sources & repositories. Keeping the same source numbers would be a bonus.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to copy my existing project to a new folder and then replace a few of the database files with ones from a new (empty) project and then reindex the hacked, cloned copy? But which files?

Or is there a less painful method? I've tried deleting individuals and focus groups of individuals, without much joy and my primary project has several thousand individuals in it to delete..... so that's not I path I think I want to travel.

Any ideas would be welcomed..

Thanks

You can create a new Data Set from File > Data Set Manager. In the process, check that you want the Sources, Repositories, and Places copied.

If you actually want a separate Project, rather than just a Data Set, use File > Copy Project to copy the whole Project. Then, in the Copy, delete the main Data Set, and renumber the remaining Data Set to #1. In the Original, delete the newly created Data Set.

Remember in the new Data Set or Project not to run the Optimize maintenance routine, or all the unused places will be deleted.

Terry,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'd never had cause to played with Data Set Manager previously. Always thought it strange that Data Set Manager wasn't available (greyed out) when all projects are closed - just the time to be managing data sets!

Anyway, I created my copy project first, then added the new data set as you suggest before deleting the main Data Set in the copy. Avoided polluting my original project, so nothing to delete from it afterwards.

Again Many Thanks

M

You're welcome. :)

Your method is better than mine - it's always safer to do this sort of thing with a copy of your Project than with the real one.

Data Set Manager is dimmed when all Projects are closed because Data Sets only exist within Projects. If there is no Project open there are no Data Sets to manage.