Rosanna

Problems with installation on Win7 32 bit

Hello

Sorry a bit lengthy.

I finally bought and installed Win 7 dual core 32 bit and installed Master Genealogist in Win 7 and using Word 10. (After seeking advice from forum members) All was well and all of a sudden I lost all project and data files. ALL the files within the package were empty. Nada. Luckily I didn’t lose too much. I had made back up but hadn't done a transfer to external hard drive. They were nowhere to be found except in data “roaming” data files under a file extension in an internet file I had in favorites called windows tutorial!! Forget this as too hard to comprehend. I couldn’t reinstall it as it was empty when found. ALL my TMGW files in “my documents” were definitely empty.

I reinstalled again from the site and had problems with registering it again and then I later found I had lost my sample files but my projectwas still there. I had obviously checked retain data or something like that when installing. But I later found I was still using the trial version, (July 10 installation) and this time no registration number. In fact most of the times I opened it my registration number was there and still no samples. Were both running?? I couldn’t do reports as some files were missing according to messages I was getting. So forget about history for the moment as I am a bit unclear about what happened and when in this saga. . .

The following is my main problem now.

I uninstalled it from programmes (control panel) and all other files and searched in case any left. I noticed my earlier version downloaded 10 July was still in programmes when I went into uninstall it I got a message “could not open install log file”. Has this problem been uncounted before?

I have completely cleaned my computer of all related files. I don’t want this to become a problem again. I had updated to v7.4 and ordered a disk although I downloaded UK version from the site. The disk has already been over 10 days coming to AU and no idea when it will be here. I need to use it by next week and want to ensure that when I get my disc there won't be any trouble.

Any thoughts please before I reinstall from disc? I do not want to retain any data as I have all my other backups on external drive. I have also cleared the external drive of all files except back up - just to be sure. I tried all names for the programme, TMGW, Master genealogist and TMG (which may have been an old v4 file) I think my problem had been to choose the wrong options when installing through the wizard. It doesn’t explain the sudden loss of data the first time around and I don’t want this to happen again. The July 10 installation kept popping up. I have looked in hidden files but not competent enough to go into registry keys. I think it has been purged except from programmes. Interestingly this doesn’t showup in any search. Phil says it is not a problem. Agree or not?

Please kindly advise.

Oh - and to move to XP would cause a problem as I thought I could use my old office package but the disk has disappeared. Besides Word 10 is better. Each Win application has to have all required programmes installed. They operate quite independently.