dpusch

Working with merged data sets

I recently merged two TMG data sets. I notice that the people and the sources retained the numbers they had in the two separate (prior to merging) data sets, except that the numbers are now prefixed with either "1:" or "2:". That's not really of much concern to me; however, when I go to select a source citation, the entire Master Source List is not available to me. If I am entering data for a person with, for example, the number 1:353, I can only cite sources that are of the form 1:XXX. When I type in a 2:XXX source, TMG returns the error message, "Cannot select a source from a different set." This is confusing, because I thought I had merged the data sets into one. Any suggestions?

It's possible that your issue is not realizing that after you merge the data sets, data set#2 is still present. Merging simply copies the data from the source data set (2) to the target data set (1). It does not change the source data set (2) at all.

An overview...

After you merge projects, you now have a project with data set 1 (the original data set) and data set 2 (the data set copied from the other project).

Data sets within a project are independent from one another as you have found.

If you want to merge the new data set #2 into your original data set #1, you can do so with the Data Set Manager. This will copy the data from data set #2 into data set #1. Data set #2 will remain unchanged. You can now delete data set #2 if you wish.

First, I'd suggest that you carefully read this article...

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/projects-datasets.htm

and this article...

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/merging.htm

Your confusion is understandable. One might think that "Merge" simply means "merge. But instead, for both Project and Data Set Merges, "Merge" actually means "copy the contents of one to the other, leaving the first unchanged."