Sign in to follow this  
nicks_fam

Citations Birth event tag

I enter new people from the drop down list "Add" example "alt+a+s" "alt+a+t".

After entering a citation in the Event Tag "Birth" with surety level filed in. The only widow the citation shows in is the first window that the citation was entered in.

I have to open the birth tag in person view in each of the other principals "Mother, & Father" that was entered. to attach the SAME citation.

Is there an easier way to cite the same event tag to ALL connected partys. like the Marriage tag cites in both partys with one citation entry.

Thanks "nick"

Edited by nicks_fam

Nick,

I'm confused. First you talk about using the Add person screen to add a sister or son. When you use the Add person screen, it creates a number of tags (which ones depend on the relationship you specified and which events you entered data for) and the citation you enter there gets applied to all the tags created.

Then you talk about entering a citation in an individual birth tag. Are the two related?

When you enter a citation in a single tag, it only appears in that tag. It sounds like you are confusing the Parent/Child relationship tag that appears in the person view of the parent's of the child with the birth tag of the child. The birth and relationship tags are separate tags, and take separate citations. It may not appear that they are separate because the date and place of the child's primary birth tag is displayed in that tag.

maybe this explanation will help

On my version of TMG-7 on my computer.

From either or "alt+a+s" "alt+a+t". the window where data is entered "Name-Var", Birth", and "Death".

These tags are only cited in one place in "First person" person window.

The source and citation doe not show in the "father's "person window" or Mother's "person window".

Example "Birth tags usually have three primary people attached to each tag, maybe more sometimes.

Name-Var & Death have one primary person.

"thanks "nick"

When I do the same thing as you are describing; the source, and the source citation shows up in the person added's name and birth/death tags. It also shows up if you look at the parents details window if you were to click on the relationship tag for the child added. Are you not seeing it there?

Dave O.

From either or "alt+a+s" "alt+a+t". the window where data is entered "Name-Var", Birth", and "Death".

The source and citation doe not show in the "father's "person window" or Mother's "person window".

Example "Birth tags usually have three primary people attached to each tag, maybe more sometimes.

"thanks "nick"

yes Dave

the detail "person window" has to be edited individually for each "father then mother".

same citation "three times".

i wonder if I need to uninstall and reload from scratch.

awhile back the "Master Source" window did not have a scrolling bar on the right side.

with the last up date there is one now.

thanks "nick"

When I do the same thing as you are describing; the source, and the source citation shows up in the person added's name and birth/death tags. It also shows up if you look at the parents details window if you were to click on the relationship tag for the child added. Are you not seeing it there?

Dave O.

"thanks "nick"

Nick,

Birth Tags do not have three primary people - they have only one. As I said before, you seem to be confusing the Birth Tag and the Relationship tags - they are separate, even though in the parent's Person View the date and place from the child's primary Birth Tag is displayed in the Relationship Tag.

You say you are using "alt+a+s" and "alt+a+t" - the first is the keyboard shortcut for adding a son, and the second is the one for adding a sister.

When you add a son as you describe, the Add Person function does these things:

1. Assigns an ID# to the son

2. Sets the Sex Flag to M for the son.

3. Adds a Name Tag for the son

4. Adds a Relationship Tag, joining the starting person to the son, and if you specify, adds a second Relationship tag joining the other specified parent to the son

5. Adds a Birth Tag for the son, with only the son as Principal

6. Adds a Death Tag for the son.

Of all these Tags, only one of the two Relationship Tags will appear in each Parent's person view.

When you add a sister, the results are somewhat different. The Add Person Function:

1. Assigns an ID# to the sister

2. Sets the Sex Flag to F for the sister.

3. Adds a Name Tag for the sister

4. Adds two Relationship Tags, one joining each Parent of the starting person to the sister (assuming both parents are assigned)

5. Adds a Birth Tag for the sister, with only the sister as Principal

6. Adds a Death Tag for the sister.

In this case there are no new Tags visible in the person view of the starting person, but there will be a Relationship tag visible in th person view of that person's parents.

In either case if you enter a citation, it is entered in each of the Tags mentioned above.

I assume by "First Person" you mean the starting person - the person who was in focus when you used the Add Person command. As described above, you will see a Relationship tag there when you add a Son, but no Tag there when you add a Sister. But in the case of adding a son, there will be a citation in the Relationship Tag if you entered one in the Add Person Screen.