Sign in to follow this  
Michael Dietz

Moving one field to another automatically

Is there a macro or option for a report which would let me copy one data field (specifically a flag) to another field (specifically another flag). In other words I would like to be able to replace the value in a specific flag with the value in another flag for every person in the database.

Thank you

Mike

Once the flags are defined, you can set one flag value based on a value in a different flag by using the secondary output of the List of People or List of Events reports.

I did not explain the question properly. I will give an example. I have a 'main' flag which can have 20 different values. I wish to set a 'temporary' flag with the content of the main flag for each person. The list of people allows you to set the value of a flag with a predertermined value, not the value of a different flag. I have been doing what you both described but I have to run the report 20 times filtering for each possible value of the main flag and then set the temporary flag to the that value. If I could just move the value of the main flag to the temporary flag I would have to run the report only once.

I can not find any way to do this with Cardinal's utility or the normal workings of TMG. I was hoping for some kind of a macro which I could put in a report to do the process.

Thank you again.

Mike

1-Setup - You make a report for each flag value and make a Book Manager report to run them.

2-Usage - Now you can do the entire process by running one Book Manager report.

Next time, you have it all set up and ready to go.

Again thank you Jim. That is what I have set up now. However I have to respond to the two question boxes for each report which is a nuisance. You responded to my earlier question as to if these responses could be automated, saying no, the programming would be horrendouse. I am in the process of expanding those flag values to almost 80 different values so the problem is expanding dramatically. I run the book manager process at least once, sometimes twice a day so it is really getting bad.

Thank you

Mike

Edited by Michael Dietz

Mike,

Maybe if you explained exactly what you are trying to do, one of us might be creative enough to think of a completely different way to do it that might be easier. Probably not, but no harm in trying.

If the values for the new flag are the same as the original flag, this is easy to do with a database editor or even with Excel (with the database extensions). You set up the new flag and then use the editor or Excel to copy the values. You could even change the values in Excel with a macro. To do this, you need to understand the $-table and how to identify the correct two flag columns. The flag identifications are in the C-table. Not trivial but easy if you know how. You would need to reindex the database immediately the next time that TMG is opened after the edit.

I can not find any way to do this with Cardinal's utility or the normal workings of TMG.

Mike,

You can use "Set Person Field" in TMG Utility to copy one flag value to another. You'd have to create a text file with two columns (TMG ID# and flag value), then use that file as an input to the "Set Field from File" sub-feature that is part of "Set Person Field".You create the text file by using a List of People report where column one is TMG ID and column two is the source flag. See: http://www.johncardinal.com/tmgutil/setper...htm#stepbystep1

John (and everybody else)

I am sorry for not replying sooner but I have been out of town and just returned home. I also just found out that the replies I had bee sending apparently did not go out.

I had figured out how to use the Set from File option in the Utility and so all was well.

Again thank all of you for the time and attention to this.

Mike