Sign in to follow this  
pendle

new user - source citations

Hello

I've got the demo version of TMG, I currently use Legacy. In my list of source citations, I have the publication details - eg birth certificate - and then an area for the details of the certificate. Here I enter the text from certificates, census, and other documents. Where do I put this in TMG? It doesn't seem to have transferred across when I did an import.

Pendle.

Welcome, Pendle,

There are two places in TMG provided for the text of Sources. If you have one Source defined in TMG for each physical source, you can add it to the Comments field on the Supplemental tab of the Source Definition screen.

If you defined Sources such that they cover multiple physical sources, you can put the text in the Citation Memo field on the Citation screen when you cite the source.

By default, the Citation Memo field does not appear in the printed notes, though you can add it my modifying the Source Templates. The Comments field is printed by default in some Source Types and not in others, but again you can modify that in the Source Templates.

I'm afraid I can't answer the import question - hopefully Jim will respond to that.

Hi Pendle,

I especially recommend reviewing Terry's on-line Tips introductory explanation of Sources in TMG found here. I think that web page will answer a lot of your questions. You are beginning to discover that TMG has many more features to deal with sources than simply a free text field where you type things in. It might be a tiny bit more effort when entering the source, but I think TMG provides many more capabilities and the ability to be much more accurate in the details and report output of your sources.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. One of us users will be happy to try to help.