Sign in to follow this  
Joe Cummings

Add to Master Place List

I am cleaning up my Place data. I would like to add some new places for future use while doing this (no tag using these new places yet). Is there any way to accomplish the task? Does not look like the Master Place List provides this function.

Place records are added to the Master Place List when entered on the Tag Entry screen. You could add multiple places by using a dummy tag, adding the place, saving, editing and enter a new place, saving, etc.

However, I recommend not doing this. When you run optimize, it removes all unlinked place records. And optimize is very useful for cleaning up the Master Place List (and all of the other database records) so you don't want to create a situation where you wouldn't want to optimize.

I'd enter places only when you add tags using the new places.

Hi Joe,

I agree with Jim's advice, but if you do choose to enter these otherwise unused places, I suggest you put something in the comment field. Optimizing will not remove unused place records for which a start year, end year, comment, or short place name have been recorded. But if you do not put something in one of those fields, Optimize will delete any otherwise unused place records.

Thanks Jim and Michael for your responses. I have been building a Word document with all the place detail columns and wanted to transfer the data to "empty tag" place records. I find it easier to collect the data as complete (in number) first rather than go back into a search mode for data as the need (tag) is required. May just keep building the word document and just transfer data to existing tags. Michael, did not know about the ability to prevent unused places being deleted by Optimize. My concern there is will this be still valid in V8? Will wait and see!

Michael, did not know about the ability to prevent unused places being deleted by Optimize. My concern there is will this be still valid in V8? Will wait and see!

I don't know what changes WhollyGenes may decide to implement in a later version, but my understanding is that not deleting these is by design. Further, I saw no change in this feature in the public Beta that WhollyGenes posted a while back. I, for one, actually rely upon this feature. I try to be very precise about my places and my Master Place List. I don't enter them often, but I will (for example) choose to enter all the counties of a given state when I start to have ancestors show up in that state. I put comments and the formation date of the county in the Start Date so they remain until I need them. And I have entered every state in the US along with its formation date even though I do not (yet) have a tag in every state.