Sign in to follow this  
kevin_b

Backup to GEDCOM

I recently moved from Windows to Mac and I'm trying to restore a TMG 7 GEDCOM backup file. Problem is, I can't remember if my backup included both data sets I had. Is there an easy way to tell in the GEDCOM file if the data is from two data sets or not?

First, you should note the separate topic here discussing using TMG on a Mac.

As for GEDCOM, you can only export in TMG from a single dataset. In Step 4 you have to select a single dataset, and then can limit the people from within that one dataset. So if TMG is how you made the file it cannot be from two datasets. Also when I just tried an export I found no data stored in the GEDCOM export file to identify either the project or dataset it came from. Just one more among so many things that are lost when you export to GEDCOM. You said these were your "backups". I sincerely hope you are "also" using the TMG Backup facility?

Already noted the topic on TMG on a Mac, thanks. :)

I am/was using the backup facility in TMG. I exported to both GED and sqz. Unfortunately, the sqz did not contain my exhibits either so I need to load up the old disk and pull that data back anyway. I'm going to try TMG via VirtualBox to see if I can get stuff back that way too.

If you are running TMG in a virtual machine or in a Boot Camp / Windows partition on your Mac you'll want to make a TMG backup (.sqz file) on your old Windows PC and do a restore instead of using GEDCOM, if you are running a Mac program then you'll have to use GEDCOM to transfer your data.

I'm so far beyond that point now. LOL

Now it's a matter of trying to recover all of my data by installing TMG in the VM and copying the folder structure off the windows drive to my virtual machine.

Lesson to all - check/test your backups!