SimonShaw

Various TMG7.04 prolems

I am not sure if this is the only place I can report errors but I cant seem to find anywhere else.

I did post an error report last week and had zero response so I am hoping that there is a more official route I can go down.

I have TMG v7.04 (UK), which I haven’t used for awhile. Last year I moved it all to a new Windows 7 PC which had a different hard drive structure that I have now (now everything is on the c: drive, before it wasn’t). Everything seemed to be working fine but in fact I have now found several major and some minor issues.

I have changed all the directory/file path’s in my preferences.

1. The Update Engine

I tried to run the UPDATE ENGINE to see if there were any updates, and I get the following error...

"No Application in c\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7 is associated with the Update Engine so it can't check for updates...”

That is indeed where my TMG is installed, so I am at a slight loss as to why it is lost...

2. Exhibits Folder

Although all my exhibits are in my exhibits folder when I log out and choose save, I get the following error after it says the backup is complete

Not Found 15 Exhibit Files.

Details in c:Users\Alienware\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Logs\Last Backup.Log

Looking at this Last Backup.Log, the 15 the files it says are missing it thinks are on the “i” drive which I do not have. I am not convinced I had one either on the last machine either.

What I have done though is re-open TMG, and navigate to where in my tree I know the exhibits exist for the missing images, and look at the exhibits. For the missing exhibit instead of the normal image thumbnail I get the sad smiley face icon indicating it can’t be found. If I double click on that sad smiley face it does open the image – proving it does really know where to look for it. If I then modify the image in some way (ie add a highlight and save) then the link is reset, and now woks ok and no longer will be missing. So there is a get around, it’s just a shame I have to re-go through all my exhibits in this way.

Unfortunately I am finding it difficult to refind all the missing exhibits and to re-attach them.

3. No reports

For some reason I can’t produce any Reports. I had my sister up this weekend and the ones I tried all failed.

3.1 Ancestor Box Chart.

I set “Use the current Focus Person”

It is set to File Type JPG

The File Name Directory look fine.

I click “Create Chart” and I get

“Visual Chartform has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly – Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I wasn’t notified of any such thing

If I change the File Type from JPG to view directly in visual Chartform I get a please be patient message, but in fact after leaving it several hours suspect it is not actually doing anything. Certainly the status bar isn’t moving.

3.2 Ahnentafel

I set “Use the current Focus Person”

I have Office/Word 2007 so set File Type as Word for Windows 2000 or later

The File Name Directory look fine (on the c drive).

I click “Create Report” and It looks like it is processing all people but at the end I get a blank message box with just an exclamation mark icon. I click OK and get

“Conversion error # 20: Unknown Error – contact tech support”

I try the same thing as ascii text and I get the File successfully exported and open file now box and the report seems to appear ok.

3.3 Descendant box chart

This seems to work ok if I do it fairly low down the tree – if I do it with older ancestors it just locks up. It warns it may take some moments to a few minutes, but again several hours later nothing is produced.

1. The solution to the 'Associated Application Not Found' issue is here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=38140

2. Use the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to make sure that all of your exhibits paths are current.

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

Did you create any image highlights in the Exhibit Log / View/Edit Image screen? If so, that might account for the 'missing' exhibits.

3.1 Try leaving the chart output destination set to: 'View in Visual Chartform'. If you want to save the chart as a JPG, do it from Visual Chartform.

3.2 You are apparently running a 64-bit version of Win7. If that's the case, output to word processor files (Word, RTF, Wordperfect) is not supported. TMG8 will have a new report manager that supports output under 64-bit operating systems.

You can output word processor reports to PDF and to HTML. Be sure to read this pinned topic...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...showtopic=12005

Firstly thanks for the quick and prompt reply.

1. The solution to the 'Associated Application Not Found' issue is here:

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=38140

I ran as admin, exited, then ran again.

When I now start TMG the option to check for updates is there (when I first went in it complained of a string being too long - but on subsequent tries it is ok)

When I run Check for an update it doesnt run as my "Proxy server" information can't be found (even though I am connected to the interenet). Where do I find the proxy server information to use?

2. Use the external exhibits feature of Validate File Integrity to make sure that all of your exhibits paths are current.

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

Did you create any image highlights in the Exhibit Log / View/Edit Image screen? If so, that might account for the 'missing' exhibits.

I did- but only for the ones I fixed. This seems to be working now - thanks.

3.1 Try leaving the chart output destination set to: 'View in Visual Chartform'. If you want to save the chart as a JPG, do it from Visual Chartform.
When I leave the Ancestor Box chart as "do it from Visual Chartform" it hangs in a blank visual chartform screen - with a please be patient - watch the status bar from progress screen. (The status bar remains unchanged)

3.2 You are apparently running a 64-bit version of Win7. If that's the case, output to word processor files (Word, RTF, Wordperfect) is not supported. TMG8 will have a new report manager that supports output under 64-bit operating systems.

You can output word processor reports to PDF and to HTML. Be sure to read this pinned topic...

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...showtopic=12005

I await for TMG 8 for word compatibility - meanwhile the pdf writer works fine - thank you

btw... v7.04 is the end of the line for TMG7 so there is no point to checking for updates. It's worth setting check for updates and check for messages to '0' in Preferences to speed up the program startup.

Also, be sure to enable the Welcome screen in Preferences. That will prevent certain issues that can occur if this screen is not enabled.

I am also having a problem with Visual Chartform. I try to create a descendant box chart or an hourglass chart and I get a message that "Visual Chartform has stopped working." Strangely, it will work for some people in my data set but not for others (the ones I happen to want). With certain people, it always fails and with others, it seems to always work.

I've run all the maintenance features with no change. I have the gold edition version 8.04, running in Windows 7 on a 64 bit operating system.