Roy Sprunger

TMG Truncates Column Width

I created a "List of Sources" Report to capture the full text of footnotes and bibliography but TMG truncates the data at 254 characters for each field/column of data.

However, Help states the following.

Width

Since fields in TMG are virtually unlimited, you must specify the number of characters to be allotted to each column. The default number appears in the field. The total width appears at the bottom of the screen.

And it does not matter whether I choose the output "ASCII Delimited with Tab" or "Comma Separated Value (CSV)".

Is there a way to increase the number of characters per column to the full width, e.g. 350 characters, that I am using?

Roy Sprunger

B)

No. The limit for text file columns is as you found. Try outputting to an Excel spreadsheet. I don't think that will get you more characters either.

No. The limit for text file columns is as you found. Try outputting to an Excel spreadsheet. I don't think that will get you more characters either.

Thanks, Jim.

I dropped off the mailing list a few years ago and I guess I fell out of touch for the last two upgrades.

With my background in database programs and familiarity with Excel I started with that selection. However, the Report Definition Screen | Options changed the number I entered to 254. So, I tried two more selections.

I was quite surprised to find there remained any limitations for the column width of ASCII delimited output, especially after they programmed TMG to allow splitting of memos which are effectively unlimited. I shall try some of the other choices to see if any of them will accept a number greater than 254.