Cellobug

merging databses

I have merged a small B project (Swedish) into a larger A project (Wood). From Terry Riegel's book, I know that I now need to merge databases, but I am confused when I open FILE>Data Set Manager and see My Data Set and Wood imported 4 August 2003. What is in My Data Set? I'm afraid to merge something when I don't know what is in it.

My understanding from what I read is that the A Project now contains both projects and the B Project is still an original project.

So how do I merge the two databases in the A Project? Cellobug

My Data Set is the default name for the first Data Set in a Project. You didn't say which Project you were looking at when you saw the two Data Sets, but if you see My Data Set and Wood, I'd think you merged the projects such that the contents of the Wood Project was added to the Swedish Project, rather than what I think you intended, which is the reverse.

My Data Set should be Data Set #1. If so, everyone with an ID# that starts with 1: will be in that data set - I'd expect that to be the people from your Swedish Project. Look at the Picklist and verify.

In either case you can resolve the issue by merging the two Data Sets, assuming that is your final objective. Just make sure when you get screen in which you set A and B, that you set the Data Set from the Swedish project to "remain unchanged." That way those people get copied into the Woods data set, and they are the ones getting new ID#s. After you have verified that you have everyone in the combined Woods Data Set, you can delete My Data Set. I think you will find that that the Woods Data Set is still Data Set #2, so you will want to renumber it in Data Set Manager to #1.

Actually, all of my Wood DB has #1 before their #s and all of the Swedish people have a #2 before their numbers, so I achieved that part as I intended and contrary to what you thought I might have done.

My problem is that when I am in the Wood Project (which has the combined DBs), and then I open the Data Set Manager, the little window shows "Wood imported 13 Aug 2003" and "My Data Set". Which one of these is to remain unchanged? Why is there no Swedish DB showing?

I had a similar problem. My husband's neice, project Green, and my nephew, project Gallagher. married. I merged the two projects thinking that when I did a report it would show both of our families together. Instead I see either one or the other but not both. What can I do so this will happen short of copying all the information over again.

Actually, all of my Wood DB has #1 before their #s and all of the Swedish people have a #2 before their numbers, so I achieved that part as I intended and contrary to what you thought I might have done.

Good.

My problem is that when I am in the Wood Project (which has the combined DBs), and then I open the Data Set Manager, the little window shows "Wood imported 13 Aug 2003" and "My Data Set". Which one of these is to remain unchanged? Why is there no Swedish DB showing?

Open the old Swedish Project, and open Data Set Manager. I think you will find that the one Data Set in that project is called "My Data Set." That's the default name for the Data Set when you create a new project from scratch. I'd suspect you never had reason to notice it and so didn't change it.

If that's correct, then the Data Set called "My Data Set" in the combined Project is your Swedish data. So you want that one to "remain unchanged" when you do the Data Set merge. That means that the contents of that Data Set are copied to the other one. Once you have done that, and verified that the people from the Swedish Project appear twice - once in Data Set #1, and again in DS #2, you can delete DS #2 from that Project.

I had a similar problem. My husband's neice, project Green, and my nephew, project Gallagher. married. I merged the two projects thinking that when I did a report it would show both of our families together. Instead I see either one or the other but not both. What can I do so this will happen short of copying all the information over again.

When you merge Projects, you end up with a copy of the data from one of them added to the other. But it is in a separate Data Set, so you still can't put people from both of them in the same report, as you discovered.

What you need to do next is Merge the two Data Sets in that combined project. There are a couple of issues that can trick you up when you do that. I suggest reading the article on Merging Projects and Data Sets on my website to be sure you get the outcome you intend.

Once you have merged the projects, you will be able to connect the niece and nephew, and create reports that include both their families.

Good.

Open the old Swedish Project, and open Data Set Manager. I think you will find that the one Data Set in that project is called "My Data Set." That's the default name for the Data Set when you create a new project from scratch. I'd suspect you never had reason to notice it and so didn't change it.

If that's correct, then the Data Set called "My Data Set" in the combined Project is your Swedish data. So you want that one to "remain unchanged" when you do the Data Set merge. That means that the contents of that Data Set are copied to the other one. Once you have done that, and verified that the people from the Swedish Project appear twice - once in Data Set #1, and again in DS #2, you can delete DS #2 from that Project.

Thanks, it worked like a charm! Cellobug