edwinhardee

program association in w7 64 bit

Somehow my tmg files were associated with dreamweaver8. I can open tmg, but the "open last" box is shaded out and unavailable. If I go to the project folder in windows explorer and click on it, it is associated with dreamweaver. I tried to associate it with tmg, but couldn't navigate to the tmg program (I couldnt find it). Where is it listed?

Then I uninstalled the program, and reinstalled it, Now when I try to run the program I get an error that it didnt install correctly.

I try to reinstall and get a message that I already have tmg installed and must install new installations into another folder.

I think I just need to delete every thing tmg and start over, any ideas? Apparently I can't uninstall the program either. Someone please advise

Do you have two installations? It sure sounds like it. You get that message when you have an existing installation and try to install the same type of installation to a different folder.

If not just run the latest installer and install ober the existing installation. Be sure to install to the correct folder. The default program folder is:

"C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7" - 32-bit operating systems

or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7" - 64-bit operating systems

The TMG v7.04 US installer is here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

btw... The [Last] button on the Welcome screen is inactive when there is no last project. Simply click [select] and choose a project to open.

last... You should not be concerned about the TMG project (.PJT) file association since you use TMG to open the projects (from the Welcome screen or from the File menu).

I deleted both installations, rebooted, installed a fresh one. Now when I try to open a saved project, I get an error message that I am missing an alias file, If i ignore, it I get another error message I am missing an alias, file this goes on for over a hundred, then finally the program shows a blank screen any more ideas?

Do you have two installations? It sure sounds like it. You get that message when you have an existing installation and try to install the same type of installation to a different folder.

If not just run the latest installer and install ober the existing installation. Be sure to install to the correct folder. The default program folder is:

"C:\Program Files\The Master Genealogist v7" - 32-bit operating systems

or

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7" - 64-bit operating systems

The TMG v7.04 US installer is here...

http://www.whollygenes.com/files/tmg7setup.exe

btw... The [Last] button on the Welcome screen is inactive when there is no last project. Simply click [select] and choose a project to open.

last... You should not be concerned about the TMG project (.PJT) file association since you use TMG to open the projects (from the Welcome screen or from the File menu).

If you get error messages, please explain the context and quote the error message exactly. There is no point to listing error messages that follow the original message after clicking [ignore].

I open the last project, I get a message that states the exhibit folder was not found and asks if I want to use default exhibit folder. The now box is darkened, so I go with that. I get an error message that reads "Alias 'FILE_N' is not found 11467 FIXLAST_EDIT"

If when I open the last project I choose to use the default exhibit folder, I get the same error message.

If you get error messages, please explain the context and quote the error message exactly. There is no point to listing error messages that follow the original message after clicking [ignore].

The message is saying that the N-table is missing from your project. You need to restore using your last good backup.

The location of the exhibits can easily be updated using Validate File Integrity (if exhibits are in a single folder) or with TMG Utility if the exhibits are in a folder tree.

thanks but I dont know what any of that means. I searched restore on this site's forums, and found no answer, and searched the programs help. i have a TMG manual book, but not with me, I am with family several hours from my house (parents, in laws, etc) and was hoping to get some work done on my tree. If you could esxplain restoring and validating I would appreciate it

The message is saying that the N-table is missing from your project. You need to restore using your last good backup.

The location of the exhibits can easily be updated using Validate File Integrity (if exhibits are in a single folder) or with TMG Utility if the exhibits are in a folder tree.

Restore a backup...

Welcome / Restore or File / Restore

Run Validate File Integrity...

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity

If you are that unfamiliar with using TMG, you need to contact Support and have them walk through the steps that you need to follow to recover.

Restore and Maintenance > Validate File Integrity are both options on the File menu in TMG. Click on Restore to restore your most recent .sqz backup. After your project is restored, then from the File menu under Maintenance, run Validate File Integrity.

In TMG / Help, to find the Validate File Integrity topic - and also information on missing exhibits, use the Search feature:

HelpVFI.jpg

Are you running Win7 on a PC - not your Mac?

Virginia

yes maam I got tired of messing with mac and went back to pc. I bought a pc laptop and pc desktop. I live out in the middle of nowhere or I would've joined a local genealogy group by now. Its seems difficult learning TMG without alot of help from others, but no doubt will be worth it when I get it learned (I've had it since before version 5).

Thanks for the help

Restore and Maintenance > Validate File Integrity are both options on the File menu in TMG. Click on Restore to restore your most recent .sqz backup. After your project is restored, then from the File menu under Maintenance, run Validate File Integrity.

In TMG / Help, to find the Validate File Integrity topic - and also information on missing exhibits, use the Search feature:

post-23-1316644634_thumb.jpg

Virginia

for some reason I dont have any sqz files in the backups folder. I have a project in the project file though. I found two old SQZ files in my email archive (that when merged constitute my latest sqz file that is back home and not with me).

I downloaded the sqz files, opened tmg, file then restore. I navigated to one of the downloaded sqz files and restored it. Then I received an error message that stated File does not exist "62 APPOBJECT.SHOW"

I clicked abort and got a box message that stated Array dimensions are invalid.

I went to file maintenance and validate, got a message it may take several minutes then immediately another message that stated unknown member AFORMS. 18 MENUOBJTMG.MVALIDATEINTEGRITY.

I clicked retry, nothing, clicked ignore then the same message except 19 instead of 18.

I feel like I will have to format my hard drive in order to get tmg to work. I cant do a clean uninstall it seems.

yes maam I got tired of messing with mac and went back to pc. I bought a pc laptop and pc desktop. I live out in the middle of nowhere or I would've joined a local genealogy group by now. Its seems difficult learning TMG without alot of help from others, but no doubt will be worth it when I get it learned (I've had it since before version 5).

Thanks for the help

post-23-1316644634_thumb.jpg

Virginia

Edited by edwinhardee