Sign in to follow this  
argothor

TMG database on removable external drive

In order to share my data between my desktop computer and my laptop, I thought I'd copy all of my project data, including exhibits, to an external, removable drive, and then change the program preferences to indicate the new location. The trouble is the removable drive doesn't always connect to the same drive letter, sometimes it is K: and sometimes L: Also discovered that exhibits that had been entered while the data was on my desktop computer's hard drive now comes up with a frowny face because it thinks that data is on C: rather than K: or L: Any exhibit that was entered while on the removable drive links up no problem.

Is there a way in which I can tell TMG that the project is all on the removable drive, without indicating a specific drive letter, and is there a quick, easy way to have all the exhibits show regardless of where they are originally entered from? I have over 90,000 individuals and thousands of exhibits, so you can see I really don't want to have to go through all of them manually to correct this.

Both the desktop and laptop use Windows 7, and both desktop and laptop have same version of 7.x TMG installed.

I realize this is clear as mud, but if you can help I'd greatly appreciate it, and if it is too confusing, hopefully I can sort things out a little better if needed.

Thanks

Roger

Are your exhibits in a tree or in one folder?

If in one folder, run Validate File Integrity and use the external exhibits feature when the exhibit path changes.

If in a tree, use TMG Utility to correct the exhibit paths. If only the drive letter is changed, then it's a simple search and replace for that part of the path.

In order to share my data between my desktop computer and my laptop, I thought I'd copy all of my project data, including exhibits, to an external, removable drive, and then change the program preferences to indicate the new location. The trouble is the removable drive doesn't always connect to the same drive letter, sometimes it is K: and sometimes L: Also discovered that exhibits that had been entered while the data was on my desktop computer's hard drive now comes up with a frowny face because it thinks that data is on C: rather than K: or L: Any exhibit that was entered while on the removable drive links up no problem.

Is there a way in which I can tell TMG that the project is all on the removable drive, without indicating a specific drive letter, and is there a quick, easy way to have all the exhibits show regardless of where they are originally entered from? I have over 90,000 individuals and thousands of exhibits, so you can see I really don't want to have to go through all of them manually to correct this.

Both the desktop and laptop use Windows 7, and both desktop and laptop have same version of 7.x TMG installed.

I realize this is clear as mud, but if you can help I'd greatly appreciate it, and if it is too confusing, hopefully I can sort things out a little better if needed.

Thanks

Roger

Windows 7 will remember the drive letter of a flash drive if you "set" it. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management. With the flash drive in place, right-click on the flash drive, select "change drive letter and paths" and set the letter to some value higher than your highest existing drive -- for example, "T" (for TMG). Normally it will come back to "T" every time you insert it and there will be no need to change TMG paths or drives.

HTH

Robert

If in a tree, use TMG Utility to correct the exhibit paths. If only the drive letter is changed, then it's a simple search and replace for that part of the path.

My exhibits are in a tree structure. I loaded TMG Utility and I'm not sure how to go about changing the path. The path use to be:

C:\Users\Roger\Document\The Master Genealogist\Exhibits\.....

Now I want it to be:

K:\The Master Genealogist\Exhibits\....

the "..." in the above paths indicates that there is a tree structure under Exhibits. Different folders depending on whether the exhibit is a census record, military record, birth, death, etc.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Roger

Windows 7 will remember the drive letter of a flash drive if you "set" it. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management. With the flash drive in place, right-click on the flash drive, select "change drive letter and paths" and set the letter to some value higher than your highest existing drive -- for example, "T" (for TMG). Normally it will come back to "T" every time you insert it and there will be no need to change TMG paths or drives.

HTH

Robert

Robert, thanks for the tip. Very helpful.

To change the exhibit paths using TMG Utility...

Other / Find and Replace

Field to change: External Exhibit File Paths

Find what: C:\Users\Roger\Document\

Replace with: K:\

iow... Replace the part of the path that differs.

Log Only is initially ticked and run like that to see the result. If OK, then unselect Log Only and make the change.

Here are some more details regarding the options for Find and Replace in TMG Utility:

• Field: External Exhibit File Paths
  • Find what: C:\Users\Roger\Document\
  • Replace with: K:\
  • Contents must match Find What exactly: Unchecked
  • Use Pattern Matching: Unchecked
  • Match Case: Unchecked
  • Find Whole Word Only: Unchecked

Thanks Jim and John. That did the trick. Worked like a charm.